Scenic routes in Scotland

Ash

Can anyone recommend a scenic route or things to see and do in the west/south west region of Scotland to travel for five - to seven days, arriving at Stranraer? This would be for a middleaged couple, driving own car, who have no experience of Scotland or the ferry but who appreciate scenic countryside/coastal areas versus shopping and cities type of break.
Any contributions warmly welcome.

Loch Lomand is gorgeous and also Aviemore further north, which allows you to see a bit of the highlands. Beware the midgets, they are an absolute pain. Plenty of repellent required!!

I travelled thru Scotland last year for 6 days. Travelled from Stranrar to Lochhernhead, and on to Dornoch (where Madonna got married) Fab little village.

Dunrobin castle is a must and stay for the falconry show.
We went all the way to John O'Groats (grotty tourist spot)and back. The roads are great, the further north you get the scenery is magnificant. Accomadation can be hit and miss.
Be careful about petrol as some of the garges further north close early.

I've been to Loch Lomand twice and I really like the place but I have to say that there isn't much on offer with regards to eating there. All the same if I was travelling in that neck of the woods again I wouldn't miss it.

Beckster says: ‘Beware the midgets, they are an absolute pain’. Midgets? Absolute pain? A bit unfair on Scots of restricted growth.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Potblack's route details were very helpful and the places mentioned seem lovely. I worry that there is too much driving involved in getting to Dornoch and Dunrobin Castle for a five day round trip. Did you feel like you were doing little else but driving? Did you have much time for enjoying being there, the walks, the scenery?
Does anyone have a more modest itinerary suggestion?

Ash said:
Thanks for the suggestions.
Potblack's route details were very helpful and the places mentioned seem lovely. I worry that there is too much driving involved in getting to Dornoch and Dunrobin Castle for a five day round trip. Did you feel like you were doing little else but driving? Did you have much time for enjoying being there, the walks, the scenery?
Does anyone have a more modest itinerary suggestion?

We did Lochernhead from Stranrar Day one and Dornoch Day 2 - Yes it was a lot of driving, but the further north you go the country sides are magnificant. Why not leave you accomadation flexible and see how you go.

Glencoe and Oban are really nice as well. There is a visitors centre in Glencoe, really nice place. Oban is a lovely town also, you can get the ferry to a few of the Islands from there, worth a visit.

We headed up to the Trossachs, stayed the first night in Callendar, really nice small town. There are lots of B&B's round and we found one very easily. You can visit Rob Roys grave from here, there is also some pretty scenary around Lough Katrine. We also visted Pitloughry which is also very pretty. Scotland on a whole is beautiful - enjoy !

Back