>>Scams to look out for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfume scam

Got this e-mail today.....

>>>>>This isnt a joke!!
It was about 3 weeks ago, I was at the Statoil station on Ushers Quay getting diesel.
It was about 11:30pm. I was approached by 2 men and 2 women in a car.

The man that was driving asked me 'What kind of perfume do you wear?' I was a bit confused and I asked him 'Why?' He said 'We are selling some name brand perfumes, at cheap prices.' I said I had no money. He then reached out of the car and handed me paper that was laminated; it had many perfumes on it. I looked quickly at it and gave it back. I said, I have no money. He said it is OK, we take check, cash or credit cards. Then the people in the car began to laugh. I just got in my car and said no thanks.
Then I received this e-mail yesterday and it sent chills up my spine. Please read this. It is not joke. Here is the e-mail I was sent-

Dear Friends:
I know not all of you are women that I am sending this to, but am hoping you will share this with your wives, daughters, mother, sisters, etc. Our world seems to be getting crazier by the day. Pipe bombs in mailboxes and sickos in parking lots with perfume. Be careful. I was approached yesterday afternoon around 3:30 PM in the Ilac Centre car park, when two males asked what kind of perfume I was wearing. Then they asked if I'd like to sample some fabulous scent they were willing to sell me at a very
reasonable rate. I probably would have agreed had I not received an e-mail some weeks ago warning of a 'Wanna smell this neat
perfume' scam. The men continued to stand between parked cars, I guess to wait for someone else to hit on. I stopped a lady going towards them, pointing at them and told her about how I was sent an e-mail at work about someone
walking up to you at the malls or in parking lots and asking you to SNIFF PERFUME that they are selling at a cheap price.

THIS IS NOT PERFUME...IT IS ETHER!

When you sniff it, you'll pass out. They'll take your wallet, your valuables and heaven knows what else. If it were not for this e-mail, I probably would have sniffed the 'perfume' but thanks to the generosity of an e-mailing friend, I was spared whatever might have happened to me. I wanted to do the same for you.
PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS AND PLEASE BE
ALERT AND BE AWARE. IF YOU ARE A MAN AND RECEIVE THIS, PASS IT ON TO
YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS.
Ladies this happened to me yesterday and I didn't smell the perfume either,thanks to this email. This is true. Believe me, I know. I was over by the car park at lunch time when I was approached. So either day or night, it does not matter.There were 3 guys together when I was approached. I called the Gardai when I got back to my home.

Like the email says above,
LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS. YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, CO-WORKERS,
whoever. It helped me. The first thing that popped into my head was this e-mail warning.

---

Some files have not been scanned

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.687 / Virus Database: 448 - Release Date: 16/05/2004

Re: re: Perfume scam

It's bull. Usual "send this to everyone or the world will end" kind of nonsense.

For one thing you can sniff ether and you'll stop sniffing LONG before you pass out.

-Rd

Re: re: Hearts

New scam - hearts
same as women empowering women read below for details

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Imperial Majesty Cruises

They just rang me asking for same details as earlier poster. Gave them short shrift. Apparently I will hear in the next 48 hours whether I have won the prize. Can't wait!

If you do a search in Google for them there are at least two references on the first page to scams.

I just won €450,000

...according to a letter I got from Switzerland from a 'Surity' company in New York.

Yep, my name has been wittled down from hundreds of thousands to the last 6. I don't need to do anything as yet 'cause the will contact me in 10 days'...probably to request my CC number so they can make the deposit.

So.. how many more people out there have made it to the last 6 also?

ninsaga

Re: Imperial Majesty Cruises

Guess what? I won the cruise. Oh I'm so lucky.

The lady told my I had won the cruise and asked me was I excited. I replied that considering the things I had heard that no I wasn't really excited at all.

Lady: "You're not excited about winning our cruise?"

Me: "No because I haven't heard very good things about these competitions."

Lady: "Oh. Well we only want to talk to people who are excited. Goodbye."

:)

Sweepstake Win

Ninsaga

I also made it to last 6, congrats to you and I. My letter seemed to originate in Amsterdam and had an address that indicated it came from a crowd called TIME. Now, a few years ago I had a subscription to TIME magazine which I cancelled after a year or so. I was tortured for a while with letters from Amsterdam exhorting me to take out another subscription but they dried up. Could there be a connection although I have moved address since?

Slim 8)

Re: Sweepstake Win

"Whenever you hear of a scheme like this, type its name together with the word "scam" into the internet and see just how many sites pop up. That is what the experts advise."

:lol Now - if only I they told me what I was supposed to be an expert in! ;)

Worldwide Leisure Group

Just received my "amazing offer" in the mail !! Did you notice on the back of the vouchers that calls to the activation line cost a 'maximum' of $20.00 + GST and may cost extra from mobiles and payphones??

Just love those "free" offers.

Cup of tea sounds good.

"Super Draw Ireland"

...another one?

Nice letter today telling me I've won a "Gold award", prizes for which "include" 1 x €50,000 cash, 1 x BMW Z4, 10 x Plasma TV, 10 x €5,000. And all I've to do is call their 1580 number at €2.40/min for a "maximum" duration of 6 mins 50 seconds. Oh yeah, and alongside my own name and address in the list of lucky Gold Award winners are a number of others — but none of them are in the 'phone book, strangely...?

Only posting this here to (a) warn people about it, (b) see if anyone else has got it?

Address at the bottom is "Super Draw Ireland, P.O. Box 9095, Dublin 4". Google turns up nothing, ditto for the "signatory" Sandra Gibson... Am I right in recalling that these crowds (like P.M.I.) get names and addresses from An Post?

Dr. M.

Lucky Me

Yes I got the same letter. I must be blessed. The first thing that made me suspicious that it is the usual type of scam is that the letter was addressed to the address that I am on the electoral register as. It is not an address that I use for any mail.

But such super prizes for me as a gold winner. However, I for one will give this a miss as I do not want to spend 6min 50m sec on the phone for a 'DVD'

Let the buyer beware

Dealing with direct unsolicited direct marketing in Ireland

Re: Dealing with direct unsolicited direct marketing in Irel

The Mailing Preference Service leaflet and form provided by Rainyday a while ago is also of relevance in this context. Note that the PDF is 448KB and is rotated 45% counterclockwise by default!

Imperial Majesty Cruises

After getting the bogus calls some months back from Ramada or whatever they're called I received a call from the above yesterday evening looking to speak to me. The guy on the phone says "Hi, I'm calling from Imperial Majesty Cruises, we're conducting a one minute survey on your travel habits, have you heard of us Ma'am?", I replied "No, I haven't but I certainly have heard all about your scam, you're going to ring me up next week and tell me I've won something aren't you?, so basically, I'm not interested in doing your survey - thank you". End of call. Then the cheeky f'rs ring back an hour later but this time hubby answers the phone, they asked for him by name, I didn't have a chance to tell him about my call earlier so he participates in their one minute survey - big eejit :) Guess who'll be winning a cruise next week?!
Seriously though, is there anyone you can report these guys to? It annoys me so much that they actually think we might be stupid enough to believe that crap.

At least it's costing them the cost of the phone call.

I've just had the Imperial Majesty call too. I was kind enough to answer their questions just so I can waste more of their time when they call back. Wouldn't give my e-mail address though. I should have said [email protected] or some such :)

I got the Ramada one too. Same crowd or just the same list of names doing the rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back