Scam text about Energy Credit ?

redstar

I received text this today...

"GOV IE: You are eligible for a discounted electricity bill under the Energy support scheme.
You can apply here: <a link >"

I also have the new PTSB Protect enabled. Yet this got through o_O

PTSB Protect only blocks known sources - there is no way they can stop scammers from sending you a scam text

Scammers will use a new and different number each time they scam you, so PTSB Protect will always be behind the curve on this one

I'm just testing it.
If it can never block new scam texts because the scammers keep changing the numbers then its pretty pointless, as all scam texts will be unique.

Reactions: Leo
PTSB Protect only blocks known sources - there is no way they can stop scammers from sending you a scam text

Scammers will use a new and different number each time they scam you, so PTSB Protect will always be behind the curve on this one
Its not based on the phone number. Its checking for known fraud links. The bank is obviously set up to protect its own brand, so ptsb links should be blocked immediately. Other branded fraud links like eflow, anpost, revenue etc may not be as quick to be blocked as the bank will have to ensure its brand is targeted in those links before legally blocking

Back