Saw this at a classic car show swords 2002 touring

Frank

I do minimal mileage in a car so a notion of a nice classic struck.

Saw this today amongst some other lovely cars.

Looks like it might be a practical useable car with cheap tax.

Anyone have experince of the bmw 2002

What should I watch out for?

I know it won't have the modern safety comfort and reliability but I would probably do less than 2000 miles a year.

I drive a company van so don't have a first car so classic insurance may be a no no but I am open to correction.

[broken link removed]

I sat into the car thought I might be too tall always a problem with classics I find, but it seems to fit ok.

Hi Frank,

The owner of that car is on octane.ie
If you go there and search the forum you will find many posts about it.

By all accounts it seems to be a nice car.

Hi Frank,

That's my car, was I talking to you at the show?

The Tourings (hatchback version) are far more rare than the saloons and much more practical because of the folding seats. The problem with 2002s is that most have body's that are in very poor knick, and when you start to look underneath and behind the arches you will find all sorts of rust that will cost a fortune to fix. Buy the best body you can afford, the mechanical are much cheaper and easier to fix. I looked at about five 2002s before I bought this one, and as you probably saw at the show, the shell is in excellent condition. I've spend around 2 grand getting it running perfect including replacing the entire suspension (dampers, springs, bushes), and it is now running sweet as a nut and handles much better around the corners.

Mine is unique because it has several choice upgrades that make it better than your average 2002.
- 5 speed manual transmission
- Braided brake lines
- Brand new Bilstein sport dampers with matched sports springs
- New anti-roll bar poly bushes
- Petronix ignition system (replaces standard points for smoother running)

The 5 speed box in particular is great, as it is far more relaxed on the motorway. The normal 4 speed box will be screaming at much higher revs.
You are welcome to come see the car at any stage (the reason I'm selling is that I've lost my job, so I've loads of free time...) and take it for a test drive.

Dave
- here's a few pics to tempt you :)

CC_June_09012.jpg

terenure_2009005Large.jpg

seats008.jpg

iDome_final007.jpg

iDome_final003Large.jpg

ps. A number of parts are being sold separately, such as the Cades wheels and sports seats. The vehicle is being sold with the 13” ATS alloy wheels, and stock seats. If you are interested in buying the car with the 15” Cades wheels and Recaro seats, we can come to a deal. Please also note that the car will be sold with the stock stereo.

Back