Sat for free view systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passport1

Hi
Anybody got any feedback regarding the sat view for free systems that seem to be available in places like Woodies, etc where you buy a box and give one off payment

Anyone using these?
Are feedback/recommendations?
Are the good investment or will they through time get scrambled
Can you pick up RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4 with them

Apologies if this has been asked already on the forum
Thanks

Do you already have a dish pointed at the Astra satellite (Sky)? If so you just naat a Freesat box , yes you can pick them up at Woodies but much cheaper at Argus in Newry. This one is particularlly good at £48 or you can get a HD one for £95. Very simple to install.
As for the Irish stations , you wont get them just yet but they will be available on digital shortly so a roof aerial is required in the meantime.

Thanks for replies

Yep - there is a satailite disk on chimney but dont currently have cable connection as only moved in while back so not sure about the astra (sky) reference

If i go with option of HD box will these pick up the Irish stations when they become available on digitial shortly or will i get the same thing with the cheaper one you give link too

Complete novice here

Thanks

Basically both boxes will pick up all available channels , The HD one has the aditional function of being able to receive HD signals as well , so the simple answer is yes the HD box will pick up Irish digital broadcasts when they become available.
Have the HD one myself , delighted with the quality.
If you have a dish on your roof it is most likely that if is aligned with the Astra satellite , so it should just be a matter of connecting up. Or , if you purchase a kit which includes a dish just mount it on a south-facing wall and you will find the satellite easily enough.

the HD box will pick up Irish digital broadcasts when they become available.

eh.. RTE on Astra is subscription only. part of the Sky package.

RTE digital terrestrial will require an aerial and a suitable digital TV or receiver.

As for the Irish stations , you wont get them just yet but they will be available on digital shortly so a roof aerial is required in the meantime.

you can get these signals now in a few places around the country including a lot of Dublin. You could, as I have, buy a combo satellite/digital (mpeg4) box and receive all the channels right now.

Could you post a link to that one please Podgerodge?

I have a Globalteq sth-700d which has no record capability. It also does not seem to be on sale anywhere at the moment. Was about €140.

The one most people on boards.ie are talking about now is the MVision HD200 which you can attach a hard drive to so you can record as well. It is €214 without the hard drive.

Oh, I should mention that this box (like my Globalteq) is a HD RECEIVER - so you get ITV HD and BBC HD channels in all their glory!

This guy has dealt with a few people on boards.ie and is Irish: (no connection with me)

http://www.saortv.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2

There is a thread about the system here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055475266

There is a general "combo" thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055471880

Hope this helps. It is great by the way to get RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4 and all the ITV's, BBC's (including HD!) , C4, Sky News, Film 4 etc on one box for free forever!

Thanks Podgerodge!

Cancelled my Sky recently to see how we would get on. Everytime I set up the free channels they seem to interupt the signal a couple of days after so I have to do it all over again, like now!

Hi
What is latest thinking regarding these sat for free view systems. I heard on radio last weekend that pubs are saying they are now seeing increased attendance in the pub at match times to view the matches because the satalite boxes people bought have had the signal scrambled and people cant no longer view the matches at home view these boxes

Is this right - are they talking about the sat for fee view systems here or something else?

Are these sat 4 free systems that are for sale in places like Woodies, Power City, Tesco etc a good buy or are you best to just subcribe to sky

Thoughts anyone?
Thanks

Hi
What is latest thinking regarding these sat for free view systems. I heard on radio last weekend that pubs are saying they are now seeing increased attendance in the pub at match times to view the matches because the satalite boxes people bought have had the signal scrambled and people cant no longer view the matches at home view these boxes

Is this right - are they talking about the sat for fee view systems here or something else?

Are these sat 4 free systems that are for sale in places like Woodies, Power City, Tesco etc a good buy or are you best to just subcribe to sky

Thoughts anyone?
Thanks
I think you're talking about the illegal decoder boxes..that is not the same as the freeview/freesat systems which are legal.

I recommend buying the freesat card from a tv install man. Gives you channel 4's and the various fives.
The 4 BBC's that come with free sat are worth more than all the other entertainment channels put together.

I recommend buying the freesat card from a tv install man. Gives you channel 4's and the various fives.
That was last year. No need now, Channel 4 and Five are available without any card, just like BBC and ITV. And it's totally legit. No dodgy boxes or cards needed.

Basicly FreeSat gives you all the best UK channels but you need an ordinary aerial for the 4 Irish ones.

The 'FreeSat' satellite tuners are designed just for the Astra 2 satellite to give easy access to the free UK channels. You can also use a generic FTA (Free to Air) tuner (as bought in Lidl etc). These are slighly less user friendly, but they can be used with other satellites as well as Astra 2.

Some time this year the Irish channels will be available in digital using an ordinary aerial. But you'll need a modern TV with an MPEG4 DTT tuner (not the older UK MPEG 2 one) or an external tuner box.

There's no chance of the Irish channels being available for free on satellite.

Theres a test signal with the Irish channels on DTT that a lot of people can pick up. All this information is over the on boards forums, as stated earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back