Sarsfield Park Lucan

elainem

Looking in Lucan myself, this time, to by house for kids. There dad lives in Lucan (as do most of my friends), and it would be nice to have something for them if anything happened to me - dad unlikely to provide for them in that way. Looked at house in Sarsfield Park, extended several times to double-fronted end terrace. Lots of room, great location, overlooking green area, but feel that it still has council house stigma. Cost €440,000. Very nicely done inside, nothing much to do to it. But would it be difficult to resell again, if needed. Is Sarsfield Park quite rough in parts. Just love the location. Also looked at house in Beech Park, but farthest end of Beech Park, already in bidding war for same now at €545,000 with a minimum of €50,000 work to be done on it. Looked at other areas with my friend also - who finally bought in Esker Woods - but prefer village life. House my friend looked at in Brookvale, just too small, and too many renters in the estate. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on Sarsfield Park? Thanks. Elaine.

I know what you mean about prefering village life. Sarsfield Park is very well situated for that. Donkey's years ago it had a rough enough name, but would think it is quite settled now.

I looked at that ages ago and thought it was nice. Having said that, that particular house is on the market for a very very long time, and I would think they should be now looking at reducing the price. You might have the same problem with selling on.

Theres one in Ballydowd Grove....good location, but up at€600K.

Theres another bed detatached on in Ballydowd Lane (price on application) so probably looking for wads of money. Needs some work too, but a real house for life.

Hi! MandaC, thanks for the info. on Sarsfield. Didn't realise it had been on the market that long. Just like where it is, overlooking the green near the health centre. Looked at the house in Ballydowd Grove, its absolutely tiny inside, with a very quirty layout. Lovely location. Offered €565,000, (and am ready to go, no chain), but they were not interested, so search continues. Thanks. Elainem.

Hi Elainem, I saw that house in sarsfield park when it first went up for sale and thought it looked like a bargain. Then after a while I saw it as sale agreed on my home and it disappeared for a while and then it came back on the market. So either it was sale agreed and fell through or the people selling took it off the market for a while. My boyfriend is from Lucan Village and I asked him what Sarsfield Park was like. He said, like Mandac, that when he was young it might have had a bit of a name but that it doesn't anymore and is very settled. I loved the specific location of that house, it had a real village feel to it.

hi elaine, i love sarsfield park. its very quiet estate and very local. its an older estate with maybe more older people living in it but the houses are lovely and would be a great investment. id go for it if i were you!!! (just to mention about the house in brookvale that your friend was going for, i saw it,dont thint the statoil sign would be a problem with that house but be worth checking just incase)

Hi Elaine
We looked at that house last year too and thought it was really homely and well maintained. Didn't like the fact that there us no side entrance but thats just me. At the time we saw it they were looking for over 500k for it and then they reduced it a few months later to 440k (and chnaged agents) so I guess they can't go any lower. I suppose there are lots of alternative affodable options for young families in the Lucan area around the 360 mark. Is it still for sale? I know its still on myhome.ie but the sign is down and I don't think its on the sherry fitz website either.
Good Luck with it

Hi! everyone, really appreciate the advice. Really love the location of the house and the house itself. Just a little bit worried about selling on - but its a house long-term for my kids. I said it to a couple of my friends who are from Lucan, and they said they would rather buy in a new estate in Lucan because of the stigma of it being excouncil. Don't think they are right myself, but its amazing how stigma sticks. I love the village feel of the house, and the solidness of it. Lived in Weston (not from Lucan originally) for a few years before ex and I split - paper thin walls and much too far from the village - very overrated in my opinion - yet by locals, Sarsfield Park doesn't even seem to be considered - amazing!! Thanks again. Elainem.

Hi Elainem. I am originally from Lucan myself. I would buy in Sarsfield Park in flash. They're terrific houses, and personally, I don't think there's any stigma attached cos of it being ex council. I think it would be an excellent investment, especially if you're seeing as a "family home". Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks Karrie76 for your reply. I'm glad that there are people who would buy there. Friends in Lucan really seem to look down on the fact that I want to buy there. As I said before, love the area, the house and the location. I do hope it's a good investment long-term, or if I ever had to resell. Thanks again Karrie76.

I too am from Lucan and have to say if anything would live in Sarsfield Park and "look down" on those living in the new estates many of which are miles from the village and don't benefit from the village atmosphere at all.

Have to say, totally agree with crescenter above. When I looked at houses in Sarsfield Park, I was considering moving from one of the outer housing estates to somewhere in the village and thats why I initially looked at Sarsfield.

Would definitely rate the area over the majority of the newer estates. There is a much more established neighbourhood. I dont think you would have the problem with renters that the wider areas have either, as there would be more of a community feel to it.

I would go as far as to say I would prefer there than say Laraghcon (well apart from the bigger houses) because I personally dont like the mix of houses and apartments, because it leads to a lot of renters.

When I moved out of my house in outer lucan, only five of the original 20 people who moved into our road were left. And that was only after five years. I dont think you would get that in Sarsfield Park.

Good Luck with it.

Thanks Crescenter and MandaC. Offer accepted yesterday evening, and I'm going ahead with it, stigma or no stigma. Really do love the house and area, and have been looking for a while, even as far as Leixlip, Ryevale, and Celbridge, but love the village location of Sarsfield, and also glad that there won't be too many renters there either - no offense to renters or anything. Thanks again. Elainem.

the village location of Sarsfield, and also glad that there won't be too many renters there either - no offense to renters or anything. Thanks again. Elainem.

Good luck with your new home. Your point re renters is interesting, lots of people like to have second homes to rent out but nobody wants to live beside them.....

I moved from Lucan because of the renters.

Not anything any one specific person did, but rather stuff like - cars dripping oil fixed in front gardens, cars parked right across green areas, ruing the grass, cauldrons (and I mean cauldrons) of food stewing away in front gardens, washing hanging out of top windows, runners, jackets, etc, bins overflowing, 10 cars in one house with comings and goings and for sale signs, buying and selling cars,, etc, grasses never cut, satellite dishes that could reach the aliens put up over front doors, houses looking run down.....and theres probably more. Just complete lack of pride in the surroundings.

Before that I did not have a problem with people renting, and again some were fine, but would not move into an area where there is a possibility of so many rentals again.

I would take a quiet ex council house over that any day! Good Luck with Sarsfield.

Thanks everyone, really feel I've made the right decision, at last. Thanks again.

MandaCRe: Sarsfield Park Lucan
I moved from Lucan because of the renters.

Not anything any one specific person did, but rather stuff like - cars dripping oil fixed in front gardens, cars parked right across green areas, ruing the grass, cauldrons (and I mean cauldrons) of food stewing away in front gardens, washing hanging out of top windows, runners, jackets, etc, bins overflowing, 10 cars in one house with comings and goings and for sale signs, buying and selling cars,, etc, grasses never cut, satellite dishes that could reach the aliens put up over front doors, houses looking run down.....and theres probably more. Just complete lack of pride in the surroundings.

Before that I did not have a problem with people renting, and again some were fine, but would not move into an area where there is a possibility of so many rentals again.

I would take a quiet ex council house over that any day! Good Luck with Sarsfield.

Thankfully not all estates in lucan are like this but I think I know where Mandac is talking about, LVP I think. What really gets my goat is the net curtains all askew, it just looks so untidy. The house beside my parents in Templeogue is rented and the net curtains caught up or curtains half fallen down just looks awful. I feel like asking these people have they no pride at all! If I was buying and the house next door was quite obviously rented then I would steer clear of that house. Sorry rant over now. Congrats elainem.

Hi! everyone, had survey done on house in Sarsfield Park and hope to sign and exchange contra3cts on Tue/Wed. However, friends are urging me to reconsider on the basis of it being ex-council, and go for a house 2 doors away from them in Cherbury Park. Personally, much prefer Sarsfield Park, but terrified of making the wrong decision. Feeling a bit pressured and confused at the moment. Anyone any thoughts on Cherbury Park over Sarsfield, or again on the ex-council stigma. Comments greatly appreciated as currently reading and wating to sign.

Gotta love those helpful friends!!! I wouldn't class Cherbury as any better than Sarsfield park - actually think Sarsfield houses look nicer - the house aside how important in location?? Sarsfield park would be better imo as it is close to shops, schools and bus stops... one disadvantage to Lucan is the traffic so having things within walkin distance is a major plus.

Another thought is do you want to live that close to your friends?

I personally would think Sarsfield Park a much better option than Cherbury but then that is just my opinion. I would go with your gut instinct. Your friends are being really unhelpful. I could possibly understand if they were urging you to go with Laraghcon over Sarsfield, but to be pushing Cherbury, grand and all as it is, just doesn't really make sense to me.

Totally agree with Deedee 80, I would personally prefer Sarsfield over Cherbury as well. Its a better location and I would think, quieter overall.

Go with your gut feeling and dont let anyone sway you. After all, you are the one who will have to live there. Maybe your friend is a little biased and just wants you nearer to her?

Back