San Fran

S

Stephenkelly

Hi All,
Heading to san fran on Friday for a week. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to get up to during the day?

Alcatraz, Golden Gate bridge (walk across it and a couple of miles beyond to Sausalito and get the ferry back across the bay) for starters.

Take a good pair of walking shoes as it's a city meant for wandering around

Alcatraz sells out quickly, even in the off-peak season, so I'd suggest booking Alcatraz on-line if you can.

Wandering through Chinatown was a great exerience, like Mpsox says, the city meant for wandering.

Alcatraz sells out quickly, even in the off-peak season, so I'd suggest booking Alcatraz on-line if you can.

Wandering through Chinatown was a great exerience, like Mpsox says, the city meant for wandering.

+ 1 and try and get the night tour.

You will see the island in the daylight and return during the dark.

you should try book alcatraz today. it will be sold out of you wait til you get there. i ahve heard the night tour is the best.
you can go across the golden gate bridge to a little town called sausalito is very nice. small posh sailing village. nice to walk around.(need to drive, get taxi or cycle to this place) renting a bike and even just cylcing accross the bridge is good fun.
in san fran its self, take a cable car ride from city centre down to the pier where alcatraz is, its very good. bring you camera too, the views are unreal.
also, at the other side of golden gate bridge, there is a steep hill up whats called golden gate national park i think, the view from up there is class, looking down over the whole san fran bay including the rock and the bridge. there are a lot of homeless people in the city, i ended up in a dodgt neighbourhood one evening on a walk, so u may just check with the hotel on that! san fran is not as hot as the rest of california... nearly always a fog rolls in off the bay, its a microclimate as such. dont forget if ur in macy's. take ur passport to the visitors reception and you get a card for additional 10% off everything. enjoy!!

Thanks all - was there a number of years ago and did Alcatraz but I am looking for sonething really different this time around. I should have mentiones this in my OP. Read up on the night tour and it sounds excellent! ANy good restaraunts to recommend?

ANy good restaraunts to recommend?

Try boudin's at Fishermans Wharf for lunch- sour dough bread bowl with chili or seafood chowder..yum

Muir woods is worth a look imo. You could take a trip out to the Presidio and Crissy fields where there are some amazing walks and beaches on the Pacific coast side especially. You could also hire a car for a day and do the '49 mile drive'.
Enjoy (Im so jealous)

The ferry to Sausalito gives a good view of Angel Island and Alcatraz. The Bay Area Model in Sausalito is fascinating.

In San Fran the Coit Tower is worth going up for the view.

If you take the night tour to Alcatraz dress warmly as it can be really cold if it's foggy.

Bit of a different one, and not one I have done myself but really, really wanted to do... (some friends did and enjoyed it) there is a scale model of the bay that the army engineers used to use to experiment on in Sausalito ([broken link removed]). It is open to visitors and certainly counts as something unusual :)

Back