San Diego in June

soy

Anyone here been to San Diego for a holiday?
Any reccomendations for accomodation, things to see or do. I am looking at a week there at the start of June.

Its a super place and the weather is usually good though in June it can be a bit gloomy. Stayed with relatives so dont know any accomodationbut generally hotels are good value on a Room only basis.
Things to see are
Sea World
San Diego Zoo
Old Town
The Bay area is lovely
A trip to Tijuana is also worth going but go on the Trolly and take care. Not recommeded to bring children down there.
Enjoy the trip

Hi Soy,

San Diego is a great city...much more laid back than L.A. or San Francisco, a lovely place to visit.

We had a great holiday there in Sept 98 but stayed with relations so can't recommend accommodation. I agree with all Sheelaghs suggestions of places to visit. Tijuana is worth a trip (across the border in Mexico) but a bit dodgy..wouldn't fancy being there after dark & I agree not to bring children.

You should visit Coronado. It's a suburb of San Diego on a peninsula jutting out into the Pacific. We went by boat which was lovely. Coronado is very picturesque and and also houses the hotel where 'Some Like It Hot' was filmed, I loved that film. The hotel backs on to a beautiful beach (where all the beach scenes with Marilyn Monroe & Tony Curtis were filmed) so bring your togs.

We also went to a baseball game in the Qualcom Stadium. Know nothing about baseball but had a ball as the atmosphere was terrific.

Have a great trip.

you'll have a great time Soy. i have relatives there and head out every so often. lovely city and supurb weather.
loads to do. cannot recommend sea world enough. and the zoo. world famous.
loads to do on the water if you're that way inclined. skiing wakeboarding surfing etc. also the old town has tall ships and such which are kept as museums and well worth the look.
the gaslamps district in downtown is constantly being regenerated and very pleasant to walk around and safe. kinda like a temple bar area but without the puke and the lowlives. be careful where you have a beer or something to eat as they may as will dip your pocket for the prices they charge. i had a pint of guinness about 4pm (ish) "happy hour" and it cost me $8 ! what on earth was normal price??
all in all its a great spot and has was ever you're into. have a great trip.

Stay on Coronado Island near the beach. There is a great little bijou hotel in a courtyard just across the road from the very expensive Del Coronado. You can get to & from downtown San Diego on the trams very cheaply & easily. Nearby Tijuana is a dump & crime ridden . STAY AWAY !

Anyone know of any nice hotels in around the GasLamp Quarter or Mission Bay?

just back - Stayed at www.lapensionehotel.com in Little Italy. Can recomend, very reasonable and within walking distane of Gaslamp district and waterfront. Also lots of very good restauants in the area.
Thanks for all the tips on what to see. Great city.

Last edited:
We stayed in a hotel in the centre not far from the Gaslamp quarter in June 2000 - I think it was the Marriot courtyard. Nice hotel, brilliant city, great weather and lots to do.

I was at a conference in San Diego last year in the Convention Center adjacent to the GasLamp Quarter. Here is the list of hotels recommended by the organisers

[broken link removed]

I stayed at the Radisson which was very nice and was about a 10-15 min walk from the GasLamp.

Back