salary range - usually specified?

Deirdra

Hello,

I'd like some feedback on peoples' experiences. Recently I've found that job ads usually indicate the salary range - It makes it very clear from the onset for all parties.

I'm attending an interview for a large corporate company who do not state the salary range and whose response is 'what are your salary expectations?'. I feel I'm almost getting into a bargaining scenario just via email, and I haven't attended the interview yet!

Have others found that this is still typical, or is it just a minority / government jobs that state salary ranges?

Cheers.

Hi Deirdra
I agree with you, I think that all companies should give a salary range on the job spec, It saves time for both parties involved.
Nothing worse than putting time and effort into an application for a job just to find out that the salary is too low.
Cheers

Hi Deirdra

Salary Negotiations Rule # 1: ALWAYS make the other side state their position/expectations first!

If there is a recruitment agency involved - ask them (they will know).

If you are still at the application stage and feel that you have to answer this question directly to the company - I'd suggest a reply like:

"You will see from my attached c.v. that I am well qualied for the position and as such would expect to be in the upper range of your payment scale. Do you have a salary band/scale for this role?"

or

"I would need to consider the total package. Can you please let me know if there is salary range for this job and what other employee benefits you think I should consider (Health insuance, pension, share options, etc.)?"

Good Luck with it

Cheers
Dicey

Back