salary differences

M

mayfair

Hello,
Hope somebody can give me, and me fellow workers, some advice.
Situation: We are working for a big company in Dublin and we did not start our work on the same date.
Person A is working for one year and gets 20.000 per annum.
Person b is working for a year and a half and gets 21.5000 per annum.
Person c is working 4 months and is getting 23.5000 per annum.
We all do the exact same job, same responsibilaties and tasks.
The difference is that we are all dutch and by the time the company was recruiting when person c got hired they were desperate for dutch speakers.
Is this a fair situation?

It is fair. The only way you would have a complaint is if, for example, men doing the exact same work were being paid more than women.

Its up to every individual to argue their case for renumeration when competing for the job so yes it is fair. Also, while people may do the same work they may not do it as well as others. Pay review time is the time to argue your corner to get the same as the highest paid worker.

thanks everybody, was just tricky for us, because this is not allowed in holland.
just hard to see that you work for more than a year and a new starter with no experience gets a few grand a year more.

Some companies pay extra for educational qualifications as well as experience.

Some companies pay extra for educational qualifications as well as experience.

Most companies pay as little as they can in order to get the right people. When Person A was employed they got the right person for €20’000, the next two people cost a little more.

Salaries are very rarely fair. I work about twice as hard as some of my colleagues but I know for a fact some of them earn more money than me.

But I see this as my problem: I should have demanded more money when I took the job.

Salaries are very rarely fair. I work about twice as hard as some of my colleagues but I know for a fact some of them earn more money than me.
...and then there's the rest of them that work harder than you and get paid less ;)

Back