Safety Statement for consultant

M

munchkins07

Hi
you may be able to help. I am going to be working in the not too distant future as a consultant in a manufacturing facility and am required to provide a copy of my safety statement.
Currently operate as a sole trader and haven't needed one up until now.
Any guidelines/templates?
I have seen some but are 200-300 pages long. Will not be doing any physical work per se just providing advice/knowledge on processes, etc

thanks
Munchkins

Safety statements apply to companies, not individuals... why do they want one from you?

Do safety statement not apply to all employers? If so, even those who are self employed would require one. Safety statements come in all shapes and sizes. A safety statement for an office environment will be different to one for a nuclear power plant.

It is my clear understanding that Health and Safety legislation applies to all business, regardless of the style of business, i.e. sole trader, partnership, limited company or other. However many sole-traders do not have Safety Statements. Many limited companies do, as part of audited accounts, refer to the fact that they have complied with health and safety legislation regarding safety statements in the directors reports but that does not mean that only companies are subject to the requirements to have safety statements. There is a lot of guidance on the Health & Safety Authority's website at www.hsa.ie

According to Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005, there is a requirement on all employers to prepare a Safety Statement.

If you come in to a company as an invidual consultant regardless of incorporation status, and you're not employing anyone else, I'm not aware of any requirement. The OP's customer contact may be just following standard company procedure which is geared towards "employer suppliers" and has not been adjusted for individual contractors.

Even if you do have a safety statement you will be bound by the statement and rules of the company that you are working for, even as a sole trader). If not then any maintenance contractor could ignore the rules at any plant that he is working in and say he is covered by his own safety statement.

Thanks for the info, I will have to do one as I am self employed ltd company. Got one from IT consultant and can tailor it to suit my own needs.

only saw this now, please feel free to PM me for any help or guidance you may need. just one thing to be careful of, make sure your 'risk assessments' cover your practices correctly, this is the first thing the person reviewing the safety statement will look for.

kind regards
a-z safety

dont pay a small fortune to some companies to prepare these statments ....daylight robbery ! you can download a templete from the hsa website then a little work to adjust to your needs.

as with all services I think the key is to shop around. yes there are sharks in the H&S consultancy sector, as with every single service in Ireland!!!

There are no 'templates' on the hsa, there are guidance documents etc on how to etc but templates are avoided because the training, ppe, risk assessment requirements of different industries mean that its very hard to have a 'template' safety statement.

As I offered the member who queried I would be more than happy to offer advise free of charge should I be PM'd, I have just started off my own Safety Consultancy business aimed at small to medium sized businesses in the last few months.

Kind regards

A-Z Safety Statement Limited

Back