Sabbatical Query

bottle

Hi, a couple of queries in relation to a hypothetical sabbatical / career break (assume person is married, €120k/a salary, company agrees to the sabbatical),

- what usually happens from a tax point of view if someone was to take a sabbatical for 12 months, starting in august?
- are there any tax forms / certs?
- would the employe get tax back if not working for the rest of the year?
- when is the optimum month of the year from a tax point of view to start a sabbatical?

Any other advice appreciated

- would the employe get tax back if not working for the rest of the year?
Yes. But you might have to wait until year end tax returns to get it. If spouse remains working, you can transfer unused credits / bands to them.

- when is the optimum month of the year from a tax point of view to start a sabbatical?
So long as you work enough months in the year to utilise your full tax band. So on 10k per month, work min 4 months in year (or 3 if spouse working and you flip band to them).

The other thing to consider is PRSI. Can you avail of parental leave and get credits?

There are a number of existing Askaboutmoney threads on this topic that you should be able to find using the search facility.

I probably advised that myself in the past, possibly when Askaboutmoney was on a different bulletin board platform, but the site's search facility seems to work ok for me these days.

There are a number of existing Askaboutmoney threads on this topic that you should be able to find using the search facility.
Thanks ClubMan, I spotted a few alright, some good advice in there but a few were a bit old.

Back