Ryder Cup

TarfHead

I've little interest in golf and even less in this competition, but ..

.. one thing that struck me was how Rory McIlroy ended up being almost late for his tee time. The Ryder Cup involves massive logistical planning, yet one of the key players ended up being responsible for his own travel to the course.

Could the team captain not have organised someone to knock on McIlroy's door to say "your car is downstairs" ?

Sure Brian Cody wouldn't have left Henry Shefflin to make his own way to Croke Park ;) !

Could the team captain not have organised someone to knock on McIlroy's door to say "your car is downstairs" ?

It was a funny one alright and had he been late it could have hugely tarnished Rory's career.

Golfers though are (supposed to be) used to scheduling their time for golf tournaments all across the world and in different time zones, so you would have expected Rory to have been OK with this. The other thing is that golfers are an individual bunch, each with their own pre-match routines (Harrington for instance practices for 1-2 hours beforehand whilst others, like Rory don't) and HMO didn't probably want to interfere here.

What I'd like to know is though...where was his caddy?

Pep Guardiola had his time-keeping incidents when he coached Barcelona, the side famously arriving two minutes late for a kick-off against Osasuna in December 2010 when an air traffic controllers' strike forced them to make the trip by road.

Back