ryanair with minor

seantheman

Photo-ID for children under 16 years is not required for:

• Children travelling with an adult between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland or domestic flights within either the United Kingdom or Ireland
  • the above is taken from ryanair t&c's. my situation is that my wife and daughter are on holiday in the uk at present, my son and i plan to join them next week. do i take it from this that i dont need any id at all for my son? just want to be sure to be sure. thanks in advance

• Children travelling with an adult between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland or domestic flights within either the United Kingdom or Ireland
  • the above is taken from ryanair t&c's. my situation is that my wife and daughter are on holiday in the uk at present, my son and i plan to join them next week. do i take it from this that i dont need any id at all for my son? just want to be sure to be sure. thanks in advance

If that's what it says in their T&C's then I presume it's right. After saying that, it is Ryanair after all... :(

ya but what about security?

When I travellled to the UK with my kid earlier in the year he was named on my passport but that was all

my son is named on my wifes passport and she's in the uk,thats why i ask if anyone has been in this situation themselves.sent ryanair an email earlier and tried to contact them by phone without success

You need to have child's name on your passport. Child trafficking immediately sprang to mind when I read your post.

From their website:

Children travelling with an adult between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland or domestic flights within either the United Kingdom or Ireland

Children included on the passport of the parent with whom they are travelling.

[broken link removed]

It's all a bit vague but I presume that the child would need their own passport, to be included on the accompanying parent's passport or their own photo id to travel to the UK (since travel to the UK from Ireland just requires photo id and not necessarily a passport) in this way and that either the airline or the UK authorities or both will look for same. If you both have photo id (you have your passport so your child will need something else) then I presume that you will be OK.

Yes it is a bit vague but you either need photo id for the children or have them named on a parents' passport, you cannot under no circumstances travel with children on Ryanair without one or the other.

Yes - I agree that you need one or the other. And I'm not sure if there is any option for official photo id for children other than a passport? Which may leave the original poster in a bind...

i agree clubman that it's quite vague, eileen alana i've read the t&c's but the two points you refer to seem to be different headings and not linked.

Sure it is ryanair!
I had son's name on passport which is allowed up until their 16th birthday, anyhow son was 16 and few months and I had forgotton to get him his own passport, Ryanair refused to let him on board, had to call friend to pick him up from airport and carry on my journey without him.

In that specific case it sounds to me that Ryanair were perfectly entitled and correct to do this and don't see it as grounds for any complaint against them.

No I am not complaining, It was my mistake. I am just saying how strict they are with id's and passports.

Sorry. I thought that you were giving out about Ryanair there. I suspect that most if not all airlines would have done likewise. And would have been obliged by law to do so.

but going back to the point about child traffiking, i could get on the boat at any irish port and go to uk without having to show id for either of us. so thats a cod. probably will end up doing this if i cant get my son a passport next week

but going back to the point about child traffiking, i could get on the boat at any irish port and go to uk without having to show id for either of us.
Are you sure?

[broken link removed].
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ireland/Britain Routes

Irish Ferries recommend all passengers bring a passport with them. Irish and British citizens do not strictly require a passport to travel between the two countries - some form of identification is however required.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photo ID, Bank Cards or bills for house utilities addressed to you are all acceptable and useful means of identification. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please note that all nationalities except Irish or British require passports. Non-EU nationals should check with the British or Irish embassy before travelling as they may also need a visa. Passengers who turn up at our ports without valid documentation may not be allowed to enter either Ireland or Britain. [/FONT]

Since 2004 all minors need to have their own passport, they wont be included in their parents passports.
I think you need some kind of photo id so you re probably better of getting him a passport, they do urgent applications for 25 euro for minors if you can show proof of travel.

my wife was at doncaster airport today and called to the ryanair desk, she explained the situation and was told the boy only needed a birth cert. she asked them to email me confirmation of this so i can carry as proof

Sorry if it wasnt clear..All I meant is that you can no longer include children in your passports, should of added they can still travel on your own if you have them included already until the passport expires.

Back