Ryanair Palma, 2 apples confiscated (extra handluggage), McDonalds & Duty Free allowe

Re: Ryanair - Two apples - Mc Donalds and Duty Free.

Returning from France this week there was no priority boarding at Brest airport. Everybody in one queue. We were then allowed to walk down a glass tunnell where we had to wait for 20 minutes in a glass box with no airconditioning, in sweltering heat until the next door was opened. People were complaining but nodody at Brest airport cared. We were then allowed to the next door down a flight of stairs where we had to wait another 10 minutes. Most people were queuing on the stairs and those that used the lift were then able to skip the queue. Unfortunately there was no room for the people alighting from the lift so everybody was squashed in to a stairwell including small children, disabled people etc.
Michael O'Leary thinks that it is the €10 travel tax that is putting people off flying. Think again Michael!

Re: Ryanair Palma, 2 apples confiscated (extra handluggage), McDonalds & Duty Free al

Just back from a trip to the Uk, brought my car this time. Oh the joy of having all the luggage in the car, arrive at ferry terminal 45 mins before due time, no security checks, able to walk around ferry, no queues, no fussing over hand luggage.
I think we need a big tunnel to connect us to continental europe, then we can all drive over and never have to use ryanair again!!

Re: Ryanair Palma, 2 apples confiscated (extra handluggage), McDonalds & Duty Free al

Travelling with ryan air next saturday with my 2 little ones and after reading all this im teriffied.hand luggage only.i have 2 kiddy sandwich bags for liquids.i'll probably get done for cause they have a little picture of a money on one side.the kids want to take there build a bear with they so god help me if they dont fit into the bag before getting on the flight.

We normally have a bite to eat in the brasserie (bar) beside the main restaurant area airside in Dublin when travelling.

Recently we noticed that we were eating with what appeared to be a children-sized knife & fork. When we asked could we have grown up ones the waiter said that they weren't allowed to use them because of security concerns. I mean, really . . . imagine trying to eat a meal with a little teeny tiny knife & fork . . .

Going through security for a recent flight I saw this 'grand dame'-type passing through in some sort of shawl yoke, secured with the most massive & vicious looking pin/brooch thing. It would be enough to go in one side of you and back out the other - never mind piddly little 'box cutters'. I can only imagine that security didn't pick her up on it because -
a) she was a mature female and mature females aren't terrorists
or
b) she was a mature female and mature females don't take kindly to being spoken to by uncouth security operatives but may be inclined to stick the pin where the sun don't shine if provoked
or
c) the pin was the only thing holding the shawl together and there may have been a commotion of she wasn't wearing much beneath it.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Coming back from Barcelona South (erm, Girona I think it was) we got busted by the X-ray blokes for having a dangerous can of coke. The guy says to me with a wink and a nod - "This is for the children, yes ?" Being a bit dawny at the time I was about to say "Naaah, Coke's bad for kids" when I realised he actually was winking at me. So I said "Yes, this is for the children" . . . and he let me through with it. I have *no* idea what that was all about, but it was good to see that at least some of them don't mind breaking the stupidology rules when common sense shows that there is no actual problem. Mind you, the Ryanair dragons were at the boarding gate making sure that everyone only had one bag. Having been hauled up at check-in because our carry-on was a little heavy (with sambos and the can of coke) I was a little nervous but we all got on, the plane took off and we got home. Why do Ryanair go on with this rubbish ?

I was going to go onto an anti-FR tirade there, but I think I better hold back. The short verison is that the young city-hopper of today who doesn't mind the rules on a lads weekend to Newcastle is the parent of tomorrow who certainly does mind the stupidology and who may well choose to go with an alternative carrier in the years ahead when faced with random rules, obnoxious power-tripping staff, etc . . . As long as the young city-hoppers don't run out FR will be fine but you never know, the recession may impact all this travel so I wouldn't be banking on these weekend trips for ever.

z

I think we need a big tunnel to connect us to continental europe, then we can all drive over and never have to use ryanair again!!

Did you know that there are other airlines than Ryanair?:rolleyes:

As we were leaving Dublin Airport there was a Ryanair staff member checking the queue at the boarding gate. She went along the queue picking out individuals akin to those black and white WW11 war movies. Anybody who had a bag that looked a little big was being asked to bring them to the metal cage while everybody else looked on. She had a dour expression on her face all the time. Several people had no problem with their bag fitting in to the metal cage. She never even smiled or said thank you. In fact she looked downright disappointed that the bags were within the regulatory size.
One woman had a bag that was a little "fat" for the cage. She had to open her bag in front of everybody to take out her book, bottle of water and little bag containing her 100ml bottles from the side section of case. They fitted in to the main part of her case, her husband took the little bottles for his case. It then fitted perfectly in the cage. The look of smug satisfaction from the tin God who made her do this turned my stomach.
I know that whenever I go to the airport with my carry on luggage I seperate my little 100 ml bottles, book, reading glasses, bottle of water, umbrella from the main part of my suitcase for the security gate. Drink the bottle of water before going through security and then purchase an overpriced one airside. The problem is that once you go through security there is no comfortable area where you can put these things back in to the main part of the suitcase so they get shoved in to a side pocket.
Ryanair's prices are no longer cheap, just price Malaga or Faro or any of the popular destinations for September on their website and you will see what I mean. Why would you want to travel with them?

Ryanair's prices are no longer cheap, just price Malaga or Faro or any of the popular destinations for September on their website and you will see what I mean. Why would you want to travel with them?

100% agree - the pricing structure for all airlines is unclear because the fare is unknown until the taxes etc., are added, but with Ryanair the cost just keeps going up and up with silly fees for online checkin, extra bag weight etc., and this is on top of not really that cheap flights.

There must be some incentive payment to make the staff act in a draconian fashion regarding carry on luggage - there's no other reason for the change in behaviour.

Ryanair might be Europe's favourite airline but it's getting v.low on customer service.

I was determined not to use Ryanair again, but the ferry to UK was over €300, and I got a return flight in August for €8. ( Couldn't believe that myself, so just checked the printout.). I do mean €8, no booking fee, taxes anything. For the difference I will take their nonsense, one last time...

Personally I don't see the problem with Ryanair.. they have a particular business model.. which may be low on customer service but not horrendeously so in my opinion.

It is clearly stated that your carry on bag must be a certain size.. so what's the problem?

It's also clearly stated that everything must be in your carry on bag.. so no seperate bags of apples, water bottles, cameras etc etc..

It is also stated that you cannot carry other peoples stuff... so fair play to Ryanair for allowing wives to put belongings in husbands bags... I think Ryanair are within the rules to disallow this but imagine the uproar here if they did so.. even if it was clearly stated to be in the rules. (I could be wrong here.. but checked in baggage allowances most definitely cannot be shared.. so don't try to do so and then moan about it if disallowed..)

Irish people seem to expect rules to be ignored, or their particular issues to be accepted.. why is this? Someone mentioned that a French girls bag was too big and she wasn't allowed fly.. so what's the problem?, What should Ryanair do?, ignore the rule? Allow her on anyway, even if the French girl caused her own problem by bringing a bag that's too big?

It's pretty simple in my view.. Ryanair are known to be picky, to be low on customer service, to have charges for everything.. so the travelling public simply need to read everything very carefully, and comply with all rules.. simple enough.

They do have excellent stats on lost baggage, on timely arrivals and departures, good prices, lost baggage etc.. why do many people also expect them to waive or bend the rules because the customers ignored them?

I agree that rules are rules but people are entitled to be treated with a bit of dignity and respect. Was on a RA flight recently from Dublin and the girl at the boarding gate was positively nasty. God bless her, she probably won't feature in any of the RA Calendars, but this one's bark was timid compared to her bite. She patrolled the entire queue and shouted at people that "this bag is too big etc" I mean shouted, and this at 5.30am in the morning.

If anybody behaved like this in their own workplace, you'd find yourself up on a bullying and harassment charge. It has come to the stage now, whereby you are more nervous about getting onto the plane entact as opposed to the bloody plane crashing.

On another note, they should review their free seating policy. It has got to the stage now where there simply isn't enough room in the overhead lockers as most people are just bringing handluggage. This results in delays in boarding as people are moving up and down the plane looking for handluggage space and stopping other passengers from boarding. In some instances, I have observed some passengers having to give their handluggage to staff to be put into the hold!!

This problem doesn't arise when you have a designated seat. 99% of the time, passengers will only use the locker over their seats and do not block the aisle rummaging around for space. Despite his massive ego, O'Leary doesn't get everything right.

On every flight I've taken in recent years, there's always been a few people who seem like they're taking everything including the kitchen sink as hand luggage. Do these people ever learn? What's even worse is that some airlines (AL?) are still too lenient on this and everyone elses hand luggage gets pushed around and squashed to make room for these people. Airlines should give everyone a plastic box with a lid that fits exactly in the overhead locker above their seat. Shouldnt be allowed on the plane with anything that doesnt fit into it.

I've found that Aer Lingus trot out the line of "because the flight is fully booked today there may not be enough room in the overhead lockers and you may have to put some items in the hold" at the gate, whereas I don't remember other airlines doing that.

I don't understand what it is about the EI overhead lockers that causes this issue. I've been on plenty of other full flights with other carriers and they don't have this problem. Occasionally there is a problem with one or two individuals who can't put their stuff directly over their head, but by and large this doesn't happen. So, why does EI have the problem ?

z

I use Ryanair a good bit. Always on time (if not cancelled, he he). Anyway, I only bring hand luggage. It is the right size, has a zip compartment and I shove the handbag, etc. in there before the baggage police get a look. As soon as on board, out comes the handbag, and away we go!

I wouldn't even try to bring anything more than one bag. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of having a good day by ordering me around.

As for different rules in different places, why are the troops given a smoking zone in Shannon, when the rest of us addicts cannot indulge in any airport in Ireland. Discrimination I tell ya.

As soon as on board, out comes the handbag, and away we go!

I wouldn't even try to bring anything more than one bag. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of having a good day by ordering me around.

But isn't this the problem. Everybody is doing the same thing. Taking the two apples, the handbag, the book etc while standing in the aisle of the plane out of the side pouch of their carry on suitcase. Elbows, bums, grunts......

Yes Water that can be a problem. But I (smug smug) have it sorted. The side zip compartment of my little trolley case can fit a bigger ziplock bag into which I put the book, etc. the little shoulder bag (only big enough for passport and money really) and the ziplock come out in jig time. I would never hold up those trying to get down the aisle. Tut tut.

If you're organised and ready you can do it. It is like being in a shop, and the person in front of you looks on in shock when the assistant looks for the money. Cue, open bag, open zip, rummage for purse, open purse, find card, hand it over, whew. I (smug again ha ha), have the laser card in my hand, I don't hold up shop queues either. That really drives me nuts.

I am off now to polish my halo!

Has anyone flown to Girona airport recently? I am just interested to know if this is one of the airports where Ryanair will honour your Priority boarding fee or is it one of those airports where there is no separate queue or where you only have a priority queue to get you as far as the bus that takes you to the plane?

I was in Girona recently and there was a priority queue alright - regretted not being in it as the other queue got a little messy and as it was a late flight I was wrecked by the time we got onto the plane.

Flying Ryanair in 2 weeks to germany, Me, the Mrs + 1 bag in the hold €80 return, total including the annoying credit card fee.

I use Ryanair quite a bit & find them great. But if you want to take advantage of their cheap flights you have to play by their rules. I learned that lesson after having to pay about €70 for being overweight. I bought a baggage scale for €10 before my next trip.

& last week I got a quicksilver case that measures 55cm*36cm*20cm (ryanairs dimensions allow 55*40*20. I spent ages looking, going into town armed with my measuring tape) @ €30 I'm very pleased with my investment.

Back