Ryanair mobile phone launch

G

Guest128

Ugh, the last bastion of "Mobiles-free" has been breached:
[broken link removed]

Great, cant wait :mad:

Funny how you can't use your phone on a plane complete with free mins/texts, yet you can use Ryanair's at 50c/text or €2 or €3/min.

I smell a scam.

Funny how you can't use your phone on a plane complete with free mins/texts, yet you can use Ryanair's at 50c/text or €2 or €3/min.

I smell a scam.

it's because you are roaming and must pay those rates

According my Michael O'Leary, the biggest users are going to be teenagers, even better news. I can't wait to be confined in a plane with constant annoying "Like, oh my god" people, what teenagers can afford €2/3 per minute for a phone call?

Can you imagine being on a transatlantic flight (as M O leary forecasts) and the teenager in the next seat decides to spend what he/she saved on telling a friend how cool it is :eek: to be able to talk above the clouds. Whatever :eek::eek:

I predict a 100% surge in air rage incidents. It'll be almost as annoying as idiots on Dublin bus who listen to music on their mobiles with no headphones, and think its cool.

I would like to think that these in-flight phones would not be at every seat for privacy reasons.

If I needed to make a call on a plane I'd like to think the phone would be on some sort of cubicle at either end of the plane (like the loo's), not right beside a fellow passenger.

I think too many people are worrying about nothing - teenagers won't be making calls right beside you.

I would like to think that these in-flight phones would not be at every seat for privacy reasons.

If I needed to make a call on a plane I'd like to think the phone would be on some sort of cubicle at either end of the plane (like the loo's), not right beside a fellow passenger.

I think too many people are worrying about nothing - teenagers won't be making calls right beside you.

It's not in-flight phones, it's the ability to use your mobile while on a flight.

It's not in-flight phones, it's the ability to use your mobile while on a flight.

But that's not what the annoucement was about yesterday by MO'L.

You still aren't allowed to use your mobile on a flight. RA have now installed a Sky phone on some of their planes at a cost of at least €100k per plane. I can't see them letting you use your own mobile when they have gone to that expense.

So people chatting about teenagers using their mobiles next to them are wrong afaik.

No you're mistaken. The technology has been installed on the planes to enable individuals to use their own phones by connecting to an aircraft-based 'mobile network' which then relays the signals to ground-based networks.

They aren't physical 'skyphones' like some long-haul carriers have built into the seatbacks.

No you're mistaken. The technology has been installed on the planes to enable individuals to use their own phones by connecting to an aircraft-based 'mobile network' which then relays the signals to ground-based networks.

Yep, that's exactly it. [broken link removed] has more information.

Back