Ryanair - FX charges

Howitzer

Apologies if this a well known one but I only came across it today and will feel like quite the dumbass if I've been getting caught out on this all along.

Book any UK flight such that you're charged in Sterling.

After you've selected your payment type (VISA, etc) there is a delay of a couple of seconds until a piece of text is uncovered detailing the price in euros at a rate of Ryanair's choosing.

No checkbox is displayed. You have to select on a link which then displays a checkbox that you have to uncheck.

If you do not do this you will be charged at a euro rate which is over 5% worse than you would receive from even the worst Bureau de Change, and maybe 7% worse than the rate you'll get automatically from your credit card provider. You will NEVER get ANY benefit from taking the rate offered by Ryanair.

You have rejected our guaranteed exchange of 190.42 EUR at a exchange rate of 1.2273321 GBP. You will not receive a guaranteed exchange from your bank.
Click here if you wish to accept Ryanairs guaranteed exchange rate.

I tried loads of times to replicate this before posting here until I realised how long the delay was before the text was displayed. Very "sneaky".

For once I remembered to compare the quoted price from Ryanair to the actual price I received on my credit card by unticking the hidden currency box.

E344.49 on credit card bill
E357.51 if I had accepted Ryanair's "guaranteed" conversion rate.

E13.02 or 3.78% difference.

Back