Ryanair flight rescheduled - Can I get a refund?

iamaspinner

My Ryanair summer flight (<1,500km) has been re-scheduled. Departure time is just over 2 hours later now. Ryanair have emailed me "outlining my options", which are to accept the changes or change the flight. I thought I could ask for a refund.

From the information I have found on their website, it is not clear to me if I am entitled to a refund. Does anyone know if I am?

Last edited:
Your flight has not been delayed, it's been rescheduled. The change would more then likely be considered minor and thus you would have no entitlement for compensation. Had they moved it to perhaps a different day, that would be another story

My September Ryanair flight is being delayed by 6 hours. I got a notification today asking me if I wanted to reschedule or cancel.

. Change your flight for free

You can choose to change your flight to the next available flight on the same route or to a flight departing one day before or one day after your new departure time. There are no flight change fees and you do not have to pay any fare difference.

"Please note that any changes exceeding the above periods will be subject to flight change fees and additional fare difference (if applicable"

I can't reschedule, because there are no other flights on that day or for two days before or two days after.

Am I entitled to compensation?

Last edited:
"You can choose to change your flight to the next available flight on the same route " or

There's no mention of a two day restriction there?

You can choose to change your flight to the next available flight on the same route or to a flight departing one day before or one day after your new departure time. There are no flight change fees and you do not have to pay any fare difference.

• to contact our Customer Service team (subject to opening hours) if you wish to avail of the free change option.

• Please note that any changes exceeding the above periods will be subject to flight change fees and additional fare difference (if applicable)

They are saying that I can only change my flights, without fees, if the changed flight is one day after or one day before the original flight. There are no flights available for two days on either side of my original flight. So I cannot change for free. I will have to pay the difference between the original cost of the flight and the cost of the new flight.

They win, I lose.

They also say......

"Please note that Ryanair is not liable for any prepaid expenses directly or indirectly related to your booking as a result of this time change."

You can choose to change your flight to the next available flight on the same route " or

There's no mention of a two day restriction there?
I wonder are Ryanair referring to the "next available flight" being on the same day?

Why else would they include or to a flight departing one day before or one day after your new departure time.

I wonder are Ryanair referring to the "next available flight" being on the same day?

Why else would they include or to a flight departing one day before or one day after your new departure time.

You're probably right; but it doesn't matter what they thought they were referring to, as you are entitled to take those words as factual, and threaten them with the small claims court if they don't honour them!

Some RA routes only operate a couple of times a week, I'd imagine that first sentence is deliberately worded to include those.

So you can choose the next available flight on the same route even if that is a week later, or you can choose another destination so long as the flight there is the same day or a day either side of your booking.

In the greater scheme of things is 6 hours delayed with ten weeks notice that much of an incovenience ? I presume you are asking purely on a point of law regarding compensation ?

In the greater scheme of things is 6 hours delayed with ten weeks notice that much of an incovenience ?
I suppose if a person had purchased transfers or had a rental car.

I deliberately choose mid day flights when I can get them and have often extended my stay by a day or two so I can fly home by the early afternoon. Nothing worse than having to check out from your hotel and to be hanging around waiting for your flight, even if the hotel you are staying at will mind your suitcases.

It has also happened to me that I have paid extra for a mid day flight but have ended up being bumped to the evening flight (which was cheaper when purchasing).

In the greater scheme of things is 6 hours delayed with ten weeks notice that much of an incovenience
It seems to be a rescheduling thing with Ryanair. You are encouraged to book early to save money but then they reschedule the flights after you have also booked hotels and transfers.

It seems to be a rescheduling thing with Ryanair. You are encouraged to book early to save money but then they reschedule the flights after you have also booked hotels and transfers.
After booking a hotel to be close to a Spanish airport for a mid morning flight, Ryanair have now changed/delayed my flight times by 7 hours. This means that I could have stayed in the resort where I was originally staying and not bothered with the hotel close to the airport and saved myself a chunk of money plus hassle.

Back