Ryanair Flight Prices

RonanC

Was trying to book flights to Paris (beauvais) last night when I noticed a strange change in price.

I was booking return flights for June for 3 people but I decided to get a rough price for 1 person first before booking the lot.

1 person return on the given dates worked out as €29.99 to Paris and €29.29 to Dublin plus taxes..

But when I changed the amount of people travelling to 3 the outward flight changed to €39.99 each, but the inward flight remained at €29.99 each.

Anybody ever notice this before? Are they allowed to up the price the more people are travelling?

Cheers

Did you re try and book one person again, the prices can go up that fast that a few minutes can make the difference and it might not be linked to the amount of people

i went in and out a couple of times just to make sure I wasnt seeing things...

Its not that they up the price for more people travelling, but that they may have had only one or two seats left at the lower price.
This is the one advantage of them moving from a flat credit card fee per booking to a fee per passenger per stage - there is now no reason not to book that one or two cheap seats seperately, and then just have to pay the higher rate for the last seat.

Are they allowed to up the price the more people are travelling?

It's a free market - they can offer seats at whatever price they want and you are free to accept their prices or not.

Don't forget that if you buy 3 separate seats, there will be three separate credit card charges and that will make up the difference, at least almost, I think

Maybe urban myth, but I have heard that their IT sytem will recognise your ip address /cookies and assume that if you are re looking at the same booking again , you are more than likely going to purchase - hence an increased price is shown. Best advice is that unless you are prepared to buy on your first viewing, do your research on a different pc than the one you finally make the purchase on.

celsius said:
Maybe urban myth, but I have heard that their IT sytem will recognise your ip address /cookies and assume that if you are re looking at the same booking again , you are more than likely going to purchase - hence an increased price is shown. Best advice is that unless you are prepared to buy on your first viewing, do your research on a different pc than the one you finally make the purchase on.

I have never seen this happening. I never book a flight with anyone without dithering ad nauseam beforehand so I reckon if this was indeed their policy, I would have been caught at some stage.

celsius said:

I don't think it's an urban myth, as it happened to me when booking a Cork-Dublin flight. Checked the flight price at work, but was not sure if I could have the day off, so I left it till I got it confirmed. I checked at home, and price was still the same, so I decided to book.When I went to book it, at my home computer price had increased, so I decided not to go. When to work the day after, and in my computer was still the increased price. Asked one of my work collegues if i could use her computer to check something, and the price was low again!! So I booked it, (it was something like €25 return, instead of €60!)

I was booking Ryanair flights recently and the charges and taxes varied considerably depending on what time of the morning I chose to fly out of Dublin. Maybe that's what happened in this case too.

I've emailed details of my flights to the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs for an opinion as to whether this is permissable. I'll post the reply.

celsius said:
Maybe urban myth, but... [etc.]
I've had this experience too — I found a significant difference between the price quoted for a return trip Shannon/Beauvais/Shannon and — after a clearout of cookies and browser cache — two one-way flights booked in reverse order (i.e. I first booked the cheaper return leg Beauvais/Shannon, then cleared cookies again and searched for a Shannon/Beauvais one-way for the outward trip).

I've had this happen before as well, but with Aer Lingus - not Ryanair.

I was booking a flight from Cork to Rome and the price I got was cheaper by 10euro if I booked them separately. Found out the same way too - just checking the flight prices singly, then decided on a certain flight and went to book it for 2 people and it turned out to be more expensive!

So I booked separately and just used the automatic check-in thing to seat us together at the airport.

Aer Lingus price for return trip

London - Dublin - London

was half the price of return trip

Dublin - London - Dublin

Ryanair use a yield management system which allocates a certain portion of seats at €x, more at €y etc. See how it works, check the price for 1 person return on any flight and then check the price for 25 people return on the same flight. You will see a bit of a difference. So, if you are booking for a large number of people, better to book it in small blocks.

Don't forget that if you buy 3 separate seats, there will be three separate credit card charges and that will make up the difference, at least almost, I think
No. Its 2.50 each way per person so the total for 3 is €15 regardless of how you book it. As explained previously book one or two at a time for best rates.

There's no need to do research on different pcs - just delete your cookies each time before you do a check

Justsally

group of us were going belfast-glasgow last year with easyjet. some rules apply. there was 26 of us. tried for 4 - x price quoted, tried for 8 - x price quoted again, tried for 12 - xx price quoted this time so bought the 8 and started again. this time best price was xx (but at least we had the 8 for the cheaper price already bagged.) Got another 12 at the xx price before it started quoting xxx price. so our group of 26 had a spread of 3 bands. but we did know that's how the system works before starting off.

Back