Ryanair - checked in baggage allowance

Perplexed

Each passenger may check in up to two checked bags upon payment of the applicable checked baggage fees by electing to purchase a checked baggage allowance of either 15 kilos or 20 kilos when make their initial booking.

Does this mean that I can check in 2 bags weighing 20 kilos each or does it mean I can check in 2 bags with a combined weight of 20 kilos ?

I know some people had problems with this on Aer Lingus last year so want to be sure I'm getting it right.

Reading further in the FAQs on the Ryanair website -

Pooling of an individual checked baggage allowance is not permitted even if you have two items of checked baggage (each item must be within its own prepaid weight allowance).

This suggests that you can check 2 bags, each must be at or under the weight you've paid for (15kg or 20kg).

Thanks gipiman. I was afraid I was missing something! I couldn't believe that Ryanair had a more customer friendly policy than Aer Lingus..

Hi Perplexed -

I have travelled with Ryanair a few times checking in bags.

You can check in two bags -

1 x 20Kg
1 x 15kg

or

2 x 15Kg

They wont allow two checked in bags of 20 Kg - 35kg is the max checkin.

However, point to note you have to add the 20Kg bag first to your booking. If you book a 15Kg you cannot add a 20Kg in - I dont know why but its weird and caught me out once!

Thank you so much. That makes it perfectly clear :) I have already paid for a 20kg bag so if I need to then I can add the 15kg.

Back