Ryanair BOGOF (well, nearly...)

From www.fxcentre.com

[FONT=verdana,arial]Ryanair scrambles to fix Internet glitch[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Thursday, 18th [/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial]An e-mail providing instructions on how to get free flights booked through the Ryanair website has been circulating among Irish internet users since last Friday.
The mail claims that as a result of a glitch in the website, it is possible to circumvent the low cost airlines current two-for-one offer and book flights for a nominal 1 cent with Ryanair paying all taxes and charges, the Irish Times reports.
Ryanair is running a promotion whereby customers who book a flight for travel in early February can book a second flight for free. The e-mail provides a specific address on the Ryanair website ([broken link removed], which is the one provided to customers of the two-for-one offer.
This page prompts users to enter the six-digit code they received when booking their first flight, but it now transpires any six digits can be entered.
As a result, recipients of the e-mail have been able to avail of the free flight without having booked a first full-price flight.
[/FONT]

They seem to be 'playing it cool', according to this Indo report (free registration required).

As well they might, from one point of view...

Is Michael O'Lairy really on the record as saying that 'there was no question of Ryanair ever refunding taxes, fees and charges taken from no-show passengers', as the first report claims?

Im not sure where to post this so apoligies if its in the wrong place.

A friend sent me an email informing me of a clitch in ryan air on line system where you could get free flights for a certain date only paying for baggage and credit card fee.

I chanced my arm and it worked! I even reconfirmed it on there website. Two tickets for 28e.

Im just wondering what will happen when i check in. Can they then charge us the full price or will they have to stand by the confirmation?

Re: Ryan Air - Free Flights?

If it's their problem and you have done nothing illegal then they will have to stand by it once to have confirmation.
So anyway what dates..?

Booked a flight with Ryanair for 8 of us for a stag weekend in Biarritz.

16cent all in.

Going out early Saturday morning 3rd Feb and back late Sunday evening.

Hope we'll be ok when we get to the boarding gate

How can you get flights for 16c, is there not a minimum charge of six euros to check in without bags or nine euros with bags and 1 - 2.50 card charge per person per segment? Am I missing something about booking with Ryanair?
The insurance option seems to have a happy habit of changing to yes every page refresh too...

Either a brilliant marketing move by Ryanair or they are just trying to save face. I don't understand why if it was a marketing ploy, they changed the page on Friday evening so that you had provide a credit card number and the reference number to book the free flights. But as the article posted above shows, they probably are having the last laugh!

dirtyH2O

16 C + card charge = Euro 40.16C

No baggage as free bag for each person on board up to 10kg's.

After all just heading over for 1 night.

dirtyH2O

16 C + card charge = Euro 40.16C

No baggage as free bag for each person on board up to 10kg's.

After all just heading over for 1 night.

Thanks for the update.
When we looked at booking our only option was either one bag @ nine euros or no bags @ six euros. That was for a flight to France as well. I tried leaving it blank but wasn't allowed to do so.

Thanks for the update.
When we looked at booking our only option was either one bag @ nine euros or no bags @ six euros. That was for a flight to France as well. I tried leaving it blank but wasn't allowed to do so.
You can leave it blank, they just make it difficult - but once you've done it once it's easy.
BTW I think the whole thing was a scam by ryanair, fills up their planes, gets revenue from: credit card fees, suitcases, priority boarding, levies, onboard gaming, drinks, food.......
Didn't O'Leary recently say that he envisages people flying for free eventually, with the peripheral revenues paying the cost.

It's a viral marketing job according to the Irish Times today.......

It now appears that rather than being a "glitch" in the Ryanair website, the e-mail is an example of viral marketing. This kind of marketing involves encouraging customers to spread marketing messages on behalf of the company, either through providing direct incentives or providing offers that seem so good that people want to inform their friends about them.

The fact that the e-mails have been in circulation for almost a week means it is unlikely that Ryanair was not aware of them. In addition, because the promotional site works with any six-digit code, it would seem Ryanair is not attempting to restrict the offer in any way.

www.ryanair.com/member/freeflights.html

has anyone actually used one of these 'free' flights yet? I'm due to fly on one of them on Friday next, just wondered if I should expect any surprises at the airport due to not actually having bought the 1st flight?

thanks.

has anyone actually used one of these 'free' flights yet? I'm due to fly on one of them on Friday next, just wondered if I should expect any surprises at the airport due to not actually having bought the 1st flight?

thanks.

Yes, pleased to say Lady Mollser and myself had a wonderful day out in London on Saturday for the grand total cost of €10.04!! No quibbles whatsoever, I hope they do these promo's more often! :)

cheers Mollser, I can look forward to it so.

Did you have to pay some new tax on departing from the London airport?

cheers Mollser, I can look forward to it so.

Did you have to pay some new tax on departing from the London airport?

That new tax kicks in sometime in February, so we were just before that, thankfully - couldve doubled the cost of my flights ;)

Back