Ryan Air Hand Baggage

Stronge

I have just checked in on line for a flight on thursday and Underlined in bold is the following "one item of cabin baggage is allowed....Hand bag, duty free lap tops etc must be carried within the permitted 1 piece of cabin. I noticed recently that people myself included were taking on at least 2 pieces of baggage I never put my hand bag into my carry on case. May be this was always on the Web check in form but I never noticed it until today. I also received an email today from Ryan Air reminding me of the above!!!

I have just checked in on line for a flight on thursday and Underlined in bold is the following "one item of cabin baggage is allowed....Hand bag, duty free lap tops etc must be carried within the permitted 1 piece of cabin. I noticed recently that people myself included were taking on at least 2 pieces of baggage I never put my hand bag into my carry on case. May be this was always on the Web check in form but I never noticed it until today. I also received an email today from Ryan Air reminding me of the above!!!

I'm reliably informed they have just changed their policy, so now everything has to be in one piece of luggage i.e laptop, duty free, etc.

I just received the same email and wondered whether they were being serious..

Wonder what the impact is for people hwo booked previous to the policy change..

Wait a second I probably know the answer

how does the security know what airline you are travelling on? They are not going to enforce ryanairs policies...

and the next person to see you is at the top of the stairs boarding the plane and its too late to turn you back then

Just home from Malaga and we were able to bring our duty free handbags and one piece of luggage on no problem but my Mam flew from England last week with them and made her put everything in the one bag before she got on the plane so I think it just pot luck really.

A family member of mine was stopped at the gate and asked to put her handbag into her carry on. This was about 3 months ago in Cork airport. The Ryanair staff member at the gate was strictly enforcing the one bag rule.

A Ryanair staff member or two (often the same ones who checked you in) will always have to be on duty at the boarding gate. It wouldn't take too long, before allowing their passengers to board, to offer them the facility of paying a flat-fee surcharge — perhaps by SMS? ;)

travelled from Dublin to Stansted last Wednesday and returned to Dublin on Saturday and there was no enforcement of one bag rule at either end. Although I gather from posts of some tme back that this rule has been enforced on occasion at Stansted.Ryanair have definitely started to highlight this rule to customers so stricter enforcement may well be on the way.

Leave a space in your bag for your handbag for the just in case times, it has only happend to me once and it was a guy standing just before you go through passport control and before the baggage security check. We travelled in the last month as a family and nobody weighted or checked how many bags we had or their sizes but you have to be ready for the day they do.

Travelling through Stansted about 6 months ago I was asked by security personnel (i.e. not airline staff) to put a second bag I was carrying into my laptop case. They were checking everybody.

This has been in place for quite a while with Ryanair but they seem to pick and chose when they apply it. A colleague of mine was flying with them over 12 months ago and they would not let him board until he had placed his laptop bag inside his other carry on luggage.

You can beat them folks!!

Here's my RYR story with hand baggage.....

I get a REALLY cheap flight by scanning the website regularly. I get a great cheap hotel with Octopus.com they have great budget hotels.

I take a wheely case (measure the dimensions before you go!) For a weekend or a few days away I take the bare minimum. Pack your case with what you think you need, then take away half. How many times have you come back from a break never having used half the clothes you brought? Make up and creams? again the minimum, put the plastic bag in the side zip of the handluggage. The hotel has shampoo etc, and you can always buy when you get there. You are not going to Inner Mongolia!

I do not bring a laptop or a briefcase - go with another airline if you do.

If female use a small flat handbag that goes across your shoulder just big enough for the passport and the wallet/medication. Put your outer coat on over this bag. You will have to take the coat off for security, but it goes back on at the departure gate.

I never buy duty free in Europe, the biggest scam in history. If I want a bottle of Hennessy, I'll gladly pay the extra in Dublin for the lack of hassle.

I buy cigarettes in the Tabac shop in countries where they are cheaper than Ireland - in Spain they are less than half price in the Tabac shops and are cheaper than in the DF shop.

I leave a little room in the suitcase in case some freaker finds my little handbag and gets a bit of a power trip, so I have room to put it in.

I do appreciate the cheap flights, you get what you pay for, and it is FAR less stressful if you play the game, don't let them win, and don't pay any more charges!!

I love Ryanair for the opportunities to travel around Europe at a whim. I play by the rules, but it is not difficult at all.

All the best

Back