running cost of 1.8 Petrol v 2.0 Diesel

mro

Looking at a (06) 1.8 Petrol and a 2.0 Diesel of same car. If it is the same year price etc will the 2.0 D cost much more to insure? Obviously tax is more on the 2.0L but when i rang my insurers it costs less to move my insurance to the 2L diesel than the 1.8 Petrol....dont do much milage so dont necessarily need a diesel for economy it just happens to be a nice car.

The 1.8 petrol is dearer than a 2.0 diesel as its usually faster than the diesel. I would not be surprised with that....

Never thought of it that way. Dont think the diesel is slower in this case but maybe because they usually that is what makes the difference.

Thanks for the reply

You did not mention what model car, so I picked the Toyota Avensis as an example.

The first number is Combined MPG. The 2nd is 0-100KPH Speed/Time.

1.8 Petrol = 44 MPG 9.4 secs
2.0 Diesel (125BPH) = 55 MPG 9.7 secs
2.0 Diesel (150BPH) = 51 MPG 8.9 secs

So, there are 2 Diesel Versions : A 125BHP version and a 150BPH Version.
Both are More Economical than the 1.8 Petrol.
The Diesel 125BPH Version is only Marginally slower than the 1.8 Petrol.
The Diesel 150BPH Version is Faster than the 1.8 Petrol.

You will find that the 125BPH Diesel does not feel that much slower than the Petrol. It would have more Low End Torque - good for pulling a heavy load. 1.8 Petrol is more "boy-racer" revving higher.

So, please check the exact Model and Version, as you can only do a proper comparison with this information.

Back