Running Cable through Plasterboard

lemeister

I need to run some cable through plasterboard in my kitchen for extra sockets and lights switches. Does anyone have any useful tips for threading the cable through the plasterboard studs and then filling the holes in the plasterboard after? I’m hoping that I won’t have to make very big holes in the plasterboard to do this.

Re: Running Cable throuhg Plasterboard

You'll need to make a hole in the plasterboard to access and drill through any timber noggins behind (horizontal timbers). These noggins are generally located at the mid point height in a standard 8' ceiling. To feed cable through you could use a "mouse" which is a small length of chain with builder's line tied to the end. Feed the "mouse " through and secure your cable to the end of the string. Small holes can be patched pretty easily. Pack the hole with stout brown paper or Rockwool. Prime the edge of the broken board with PVA and fill with bonding. Finish just below the surrounding area. When dry finish with Pinnacle skimcoat or interior filler. Sand down and decorate on completion.

Re: Running Cable throuhg Plasterboard

Thanks Carpenter, I think I'll do a short run first to get the hang of it

Back