RTE's Olympic Coverage

the studio etc looks a bit tired, but they've sent a big team to London.
Anyways, they're broke....it'll do

The BBC's coverage is arguably the best coverage of a major sports event I have ever seen, notwithstanding the fact that the whole "Team GB" thing starts to grate after about 30 seconds (I understand it to an extent but it is very annoying). The choice behind the red button is stunning with basically every single event being shown live.

RTE just dont have the money to do any better.
Even if they did have the money people would argue it would be better used elsewhere.

It hit a new low last night.

"When I was young, the only people who played badminton were protestants" - Bill O' again!

Had to turn it on mute when watching the boxing last night as jimmy kept going on about the poor opponent who must have no clue where the next punch is coming from - well he seemed to have worked it out by round 3 too late though.

The BBC's coverage is arguably the best coverage of a major sports event I have ever seen, notwithstanding the fact that the whole "Team GB" thing starts to grate after about 30 seconds (I understand it to an extent but it is very annoying). The choice behind the red button is stunning with basically every single event being shown live.
+1 - the red button coverage on BBC is just fantastic - even within each sport, you can often choose between several matches - sometimes without commentary but so what? My US colleagues couldn't believe the depth of coverage available when I described it - and all without ad breaks too.

Agree, BBC Red Button interactive is fantastic. As posted, Jimmy Magee also drives me nuts with his non-stop ramblings. I switched to BBC during a round break and back to RTE for the expert analysis (boxing) and will continue to do so for the Irish fights

It hit a new low last night.

"When I was young, the only people who played badminton were protestants" - Bill O' again!

..... what's low about it? ... a great thing about the RTE coverage is that you don't know whats going to be said next..... opposing views are encouraged and challenged accordingly - stokes up good debate.... none of the scripted crap.....

I must say the British olympics are an absolute treat. Great TV coverage by the BBC. Clare Balding was excellent the first week on the swimming. Opening ceremony was magical, Danny Boy, who'd have thought it. I decided I was going to support Team GB and that's really added to it. Did the same when England was in the soccer. Delighted Katie Taylor got her gold but personally cannot stand boxing but I did watch her final fight. Couldn't see how she won in the final round as I don't understand how they score it. The minister going on about how he personally invested money (that's how it sounded) in the sport was sickening - who is he kidding. Really looking forward to the closing ceremony. London is the best olympics I've ever seen.

Why would anyone choose to support Team GB who is not British. People slag the Yanks for their chest-beating-flag-waving-patriotic crap but the Brits have really outdone them this time. Take the 4x400m relay tonight. The Bahamas beat the USA where their 4th runner overtook the American in the final 100m stretch of the mile race and it was one of the best finishes to a relay I have seen in a long time. However, in the very first replay of the race shown by the BBC, they concentrated on their runner beating some other athlete to finish 4th!!!!! And to add insult to injury, Michael Johnson starts moaning about the USA not being at full strength in the race.

As an aside I am abroad at the moment and don't have RTE so have to watch the Beeb and by God they are driving me ma.! If I never hear that goddamn Spandau Ballet song again it will be too soon!

Of course the BBC are going to be concentrating on team GB, it would be a little odd if they didn't, but I haven't found it to be off putting at all. i watch the boxing on RTE (I don't mind Jimmy Magee either) and everything else on BBC. It has been good coverage all round imo.

One evening I saw Argentina vs GB women's hockey on BBC. RTE stuck it on the next day so needless to say I promptly switched to BBC.

After the Nevin boxing semi-final on RTE, they spent ages analysing it and speculating as to who would win the other semi-final, proudly took a commercial break announcing a return with the other semi-final. Meanwhile BBC were showing the semi-final live and in fact it had finished before RTE started to show it. I couldn't look at RTE because a lot of the events were not live.

I might have looked at beach volleyball though and I thought RTE's commentator for the Spain vs USA men's basketball final was very entertaining, boomshakala!

RTE decided to take an advert break in the last 5k of the mens marathon, the exact few minutes the lead shifted -

I appreciate they were not to know the lead would change but it was the closing 20 minutes when most action takes place and then decide to go to commercials.

I appreciate they were not to know the lead would change but it was the closing 20 minutes when most action takes place and then decide to go to commercials.

You mean when everyone was paying most attention??? :D

Back