RTE's coverage of Cork case

Brendan Burgess

Founder
A guy went on trial today accused of holding a Cork couple hostage for 6 hours so that they could rob cash from his business. The man was disabled with a stun gun. The wife was 6 months pregnant at the time and was knocked to the ground.

I have just watched the news coverage and RTE showed pictures of the couple who were trying to maintain their privacy by wearing a long hat and a baseball cap. Has this couple not been through enough of an ordeal without RTE identifying them publicly when they clearly did not want to be identified?

Brendan

That is dreadful carry on. The English Press have a bad name, I think lately the Irish Press are far worse, it's just news at any cost.

Those slugs over at the Daily Star printed a front-page picture of Lawlor's interpreter, scarred face and all, having tracked her down to her apartment in Prague. Given that she is recoving from physical injury, the trauma of having been involved in a serious accident, and having her reputation seriously tarnished by other papers of the Independent Group, wouldn't it be nice to think they might just let her recover in peace? Slimebags.....

On the Cork Case, RTE also showed footage of the next door neighbours who raised the alarm..... a total load of cax...why did they need to show them...who do RTE New think they are? SKY?

The worst is that these low standards sell papers. Last Sunday my local cornershop had a total of 3 Sunday Worlds and 1 Sunday Business Posts left at noon. All the other Irish papers were totally sold out. The shopkeeper told me that he couldn't believe it, and that he had never sold out his entire paper stock so quickly. The reason: the Lawlor story.

Btw, the Star made a grovelling apology to the Lawlor family and that lady on Monday. They made a virtue of invading her privacy today. Speaking of the late Mr. Lawlor, its only a couple of years since the editorial of the same paper joked about the possibility of him being raped in prison when he was jailed, which puts into perspective their unctious "concern" for the Ferns child abuse victims earlier this week...

The picture was in the Irish Independent today as well.

Are there any guidelines for this? Alleged rape victims can't be named or identified. Is that the only crime to which anonymity applies?

Brendan

..now you've got me started (I rarely vent on LOS here), but yes, RTE News are starting to apply the tabloid journalism approach...the other day, Charlie Bird was knocking on the door of some building looking for Bishop Comisky - in all feckin' fairness.. did he expect the Bishop to come out the front door going' "Ah Charlie me aul swanny, how are ya kiddo? what can I do for ya? Step in and lets have a chat.." ....this is real tabloid journalism crap..... sorta reminds me of that muppet who presents the weather on Sky (no not our cute Irish lass of course), but yer man reporting on the floods in England a few years back by walking out into in up to his knees & turning around to talk to the camera.. 'cause we were to stupid to notice a car covered up to its roof in water.

Rant over and out

Just to drag up the Indo again (it really has slumped downhill), in Wednesdays copy it carried yet another apology relating to Lawlor... not about Sundays stupid misreporting but about mondays and tuesdays, here it is:

"In Mondays edition of the Evening Herald and yesterday's edition of the Irish Independent pictures of the Marriott Hotel in Moscow were published with a caption suggesting that the late Liam Lawlor had spent his last hours there. We accept that this statement is totally untrue and we apologise to the Lawlor family for any furture distress this may have caused."

I'm spotting errors in it everyday -in todays copy it claims that Google is abouts to surpass $100bn in market cap (thats true), and that this is a
position held only by two other firms - Intel and Cisco Systems
(most certainly not true.)

A few weeks ago its main business story was about a new low cost airline that Dermot Desmond was launching... a week later it had an apology along the lines of sorry...the article was entirely untrue and the statements un-supported... Mr Desmond has no intentions of launching a new airline.

I'm beginning to wonder what to believe whilst reading it each day.

Brendan said:
The picture was in the Irish Independent today as well.
I rarely buy a paper during the week, but I needed one today to kill some time. I specifically avoided the Indo group, and as I had browsed the Times in work, I went for the Examiner instead. What a dissapointment to find they also had a photo (which looked identical to the Times photo to me) of the couple who were the victims of the kidnapping case.

I gave up buying and reading the Irish Times 2 or 3 years ago cos I was sick of their falling standards and middle-class bias. At the time the Irish Indo seemed a much better option but has really turned into a tabloid (in every sense of the word) in the meantime. The Cork Examiner is still the Cork Examiner, only the title changed. It is an okay paper, but not really a national newspaper - like the Irish News at the opposite end of the country.

ubiquitous said:
.. At the time the Irish Indo seemed a much better option but has really turned into a tabloid (in every sense of the word) in the meantime..

The Indo is gearing up for the imminent publication an Irish version of a UK mid-market tabloid (Mail or Express, can't remember which). The recent change of editor has resulted in a change in focus. The new editor, Gerry O'Regan, has previously worked on, eh, more 'mass-market' publications.

Herald AM is a tactical response to Metro, who is backed, in part, by the same people backing the new threat.

Independent Newspapers own the Tribune as a defensive bulwark against the Sunday Times, i.e. if the Tribune folds, the Sunday Times would pick up much of the reader flight.

They're in a corner and biting and scratching for their future.

I resolved never to buy the Sindo again after some editorialising they did some years ago (which I now forget but remember that I felt strongly about it). Also, that a certain journalist remains gainfully employed by them is another bugbear of mine. Naming no names but Ian Delamere articulated it well on The Panel last week.

TarfHead said:
The Indo....Herald AM....Tribune...Sindo

Don't forget they own half of the Star aswell with the Daily Express group... I think O'Reilly has far too much media control in Ireland.... as ubiquitous described - just look at the alternatives!

pricilla said:

I have a watch for that!

TarfHead said:
.. Herald AM is a tactical response to Metro, who is backed, in part, by the same people backing the new threat ..

".. freesheet is a joint venture between the Irish Times, Associated Newspapers, which publishes the Mail newspapers and Metro International, the Swedish company that has pioneered free newspapers in both Europe and the US. The Irish Times has invested €1 million in the operation and its printing plant in Citywest, Dublin, prints the newspaper.

Rupert Murdoch, head of News Corporation, admitted in February that Associated's Metro edition in London, may have dented circulation of his top-selling Sun tabloid by as many as 40,000 copies per day. "The record of these free newspapers has been ... to more seriously damage existing newspapers," Murdoch said."

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10003574.shtml

[broken link removed]

Sunday, September 18, 2005 - By Barry O'Kelly

Associated Newspapers plans to launch an Irish edition of the Daily Mail in January, escalating its war with Independent News & Media (IN&M).

The London group is aiming to set up a morning newspaper in direct competition to the compact Irish Independent.

It comes as the publisher of the Daily Mail prepares to launch a freesheet Metro paper in Dublin this week, reportedly aimed at taking ads from the Evening Herald.

The Sunday Business Post understands that a January launch date has been set for the Irish edition of the Daily Mail. It will be edited by Lisa O'Carroll, currently a news editor of Ireland On Sunday.

She will have a staff of around 20 people, in line with similar Irish operations run by the Daily Mirror and the Sun.

The Irish Daily Mail will be targeted more at a mid-market readership - typically young office workers and secretaries."

[broken link removed]

Back