RTE

R

roundstone

RTE has a permanent reporter in Washington. Why then do they have to send Tommy out there as well? wouldn't he be better off stalking the IRA in Belfast?
Roundstone

Perhaps because nobody in the White House will talk to the permanent reporter since [broken link removed]?

If, as seems likely, the resident reporter can't get anyone to talk to her on big issues - there's not much point in her being there, is there?
Not saying for a second she did anything wrong, but if she can't perform her function there, because of personality issues or whatever, maybe she should do it somewhere else? Happens with sales people all the time.

Sure aren't we all fascinated with the depth of the snow in Washington DC?

jock04 - I was being slightly facetious. I don't actually know if she has been given the cold shoulder since that incident but wouldn't be surprised if there had been repercussions.

Open to correction but think I read that Carol Coleman's stint as RTE's Washington correspondent finished late last year.

Can't recall who replaced her but don't think it had anything to do with the Bush interview. Her name hasn't surfaced recently - maybe RTE doesn't think she's glamerous enough! Thought she was great myself. Her predecessor, AFAIK, Mark Little, quickly became Miriam O'Callaghan's side kick on Prime Time. Have a vague recollection that she won an award for her excellence as a reporter.

8)

Robert Short is the new Washington Corr.

Each RTE Corr in Washington serves there for a specific length of time - 3 years I think. Carole Coleman was nearing the end of her stint when she interviewed Bush. Maybe that's why she felt brave enough to challenge him.

I doubt if the Bush administration is so thin-skinned so as to conduct a vendetta against both Coleman's successor and her employer. After all they are well used to receiving harsh criticism from many quarters.

Robert Short is the new Washington Corr.
Wasn't it just great to see Robert focusing on the most important issue facing the USA today over recent weeks - The Michael Jackson trial! Was it really necessary for Rob to decamp to Santa Rosa for days/weeks to report on this rubbish?

Club,

I took your post as intended. But, like you, I think she would have found things difficult after her "tough interview".
I'm sure they'll send her somewhere nice next. ;)

Back