RTE Summer Stand in Radio Presenters.

WaterWater

Just listening to the various stand in presenters on RTE Radio over the past few weeks. They are every bit as good if not better than the highly paid others. Can we not keep these guys and lassies for quarter the price?

RTEs "stars" are over-rated and over paid plus they get great holidays.

I like the new woman on morning ireland, aiofe kavanagh i think? She was very good interviewing Barry Andrews on Wednesday morning.

I'm more of a radio one listener than 2fm but from what i'v heard of Jim Jim and Paddy, Colm might be hard pushed to get his job back

Philip Boucher Hayes is doing a great job on Liveline.

Ah, that voice of his, so calm and smooth. Could listen to him all day
Ok, I'll stop now :D

Keep PBH, get rid of Joe or at least move him and the mega salary to another slot

I've always thought it's silly to be paying several 000Ks to the big names. Where else are they going to go that will pay them as much money?
The argument about how much advertising money they bring in doesn't hold much water either.

presumably because the advertising money is still coming in whilst they're on holidays?

I wonder is it coming in to the same extent? Or do advertisers have year long deals with the broadcaster?

Gerry Ryan pulled about 5million PA in revenue, so it will be interesting to see if this amount falls now that he has been replaced; seeing as how it had always been a big part of his (and RTE's) arguement as to why he was paid so much.

I always like listening to Derek Davis. He's calm and smart and when he voices an opinion it's always an interesting and well thought out one.

Philip Boucher Hayes is doing a great job on Liveline.

Ah, that voice of his, so calm and smooth. Could listen to him all day
Ok, I'll stop now :D

Keep PBH, get rid of Joe or at least move him and the mega salary to another slot

I agree with you but I have to say today while I was listening to the programme I was waiting for the usual ad breaks and I cant remember any. Maybe I left the room on a few occasions but I cannot recall a single ad which was great because it meant the topics been discussed had great continuity.

Have to say I like Joe but Philip is lovely.

I wonder is it coming in to the same extent? Or do advertisers have year long deals with the broadcaster?

No, each ad, or series of ads is sold separately and ratings do really matter and affect the price that RTE can command for each program.

However, I doubt if they have properly analysed if the ad revenue would drop with a different presenter. Morning Ireland is an examples of a show will top class ratings, which changes presenters regularly.

I think Philip Boucher Hayes is excellent and I have heard him do lots of different shows at different times, as he seems to do a lot of stand in work. About time that he was given a proper show of his own.

If Rachel English replaced Marian Finucane permanently, I doubt that the ratings would drop, as she is as good, if not better, and she seems to take
much shorter holidays, so would be better value.

Have really enjoyed listening to Rachel English fill in for Marian, think she is a very good interviewer - listens to her guests. So was very disappointed to hear she is finished up today - then she gives the final blow, Charlie Bird is filling in from next week.
What does Charlie know about radio - its going to be all about him I suspect :(

Have really enjoyed listening to Rachel English fill in for Marian, think she is a very good interviewer - listens to her guests. So was very disappointed to hear she is finished up today - then she gives the final blow, Charlie Bird is filling in from next week.
What does Charlie know about radio - its going to be all about him I suspect :(

haven;t you learned yet -journalists are the centre of the universe :)

I'm switching off 2FM in the mornings tomorrow after being a Gerry Ryan fan since I was about 12!! Colm and Lucy did a better job than I expected but I can't stand Tubridy so off it goes. Huge mistake RTE..I know I'm not alone, I know loads of others doing the same.

Back