RTE Radio Business & Crime Reports

Romulan

Is there any chance I can listen to a report not peppered with Eh & Um?

Or a crime report that sounds like the reporter ran all the way back from the crime scene?

And if I listen to the same report at a later time, its still no better.

Does nobody in RTE actually listen to these reports and think its unacceptable for someone whose profession is communicating?

If you got into a taxi and the driver kept stalling the car and running out of petrol, would this be acceptable?

I fell better now. ;)

What gets me is the way they use the same formula when editing all outside/on-location reports.
For example, when reporting from a school the following format is used;
1) Noise of children in yard.
2) Introduction from reporter.
3) More yard or classroom noise and short snippet from teacher/school principle/ union person
4) Sum up from reporter.
5) Fade out with yet more yard noise.

If the report is about music in schools the yard noise is replaced with segments of children playing music, etc, etc.

Never waste a good cliche!

I'll even add one to the list;
6) Short interview with someone who actually knows nothing about the event
"I don't know anything but its shocking, dreadful" etc

AA Roadwatch do not eh and um, perhaps they can teach the RTE Reporters.
Or better, Ann Doyle could learn em!

You hear it on the TV news as well, some of them are appalling.

The ums, ahs and ems that are peppered throughout sentences by politicians, roving reporters and footballers are meant, IMHO, to give the impression that the answer is spontaenous and just being thought out. Some think that it adds a little gravitas :). But, for example, if Bertie hummed and hawed as much when telling a joke in Fagan's as he did when answering questions which might trip him up, anybody listening that didn't know him would think that he had some kind of imbalance. BTW, any connection between Bertie and the Dicken's character is purely coincidental ;)

What drives me up the wall is the live reports or studio guests on RTE news who have to go through the procedure of getting ready for a live broadcast and they are on air for about 2 minutes getting asked about 2 questions. If you go to the effort of doing this at least interview these people for 5-6 minutes!!

What drives me bananas, especially when they're interviewing politicians, is the way they get the interviewee to walk towards, and past, the camera before the interview begins. Was original the very first time it was done but now it looks totally contrived. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Back