RTE Commentary at the Euros

What makes you say Brian Kerr was "bad"?

I enjoy his reports and comments.

What makes you say Brian Kerr was "bad"?

I enjoy his reports and comments.

Just an opinion.- Dull, that's all.Think a commentator should have a little charisma. Normally RTE commentary much better.

In fact- Whelan and Hamilton I thought were good

Pity about the result on the pitch

Just an opinion.- Dull, that's all.Think a commentator should have a little charisma. Normally RTE commentary much better.

In fact- Whelan and Hamilton I thought were good

Pity about the result on the pitch

Kerr's role is co-commentator and as such provides expert insight rather than excitement. Kerr's knowledge of the players is refreshing compared to just about all the other pundits.

It's too easy to just get caught up in just discussing patterns of play as you see them, getting a bit of background on the players is too often overlooked and underappreciated.

Kerr knows his football but I don't need to hear from him every 5 seconds. It's why he is better in the studio. There are a few co-commentators that do the same. They seem to think they need to talk every few seconds even to state the obvious. Sometimes, less is more. Saying that, RTE continue to shame the UK coverage.

Once upon a time I used to watch Irish Internationals (or should I have said Ireland International?) in a pub. The Celtic jersey brigade on every occasion after singing every anti Brit song in their extensive repertoire insisted that the publican change the television commentary to the BBC.

We all know the BBC has the most sanitised sports pundits who can talk about "everyone should aspire to be like Beckham" mentality. . . and then "back in 1966 . . ."

Give me Brian Kerr anyday. He calls it as it is and his insights are helpful to association football not-great-on-the-subject viewers like me.

Kerr knows his football but I don't need to hear from him every 5 seconds. It's why he is better in the studio. There are a few co-commentators that do the same. They seem to think they need to talk every few seconds even to state the obvious. Sometimes, less is more. Saying that, RTE continue to shame the UK coverage.

Agreed Sunny. Kerr is good but needs to learn that he is there for offering his opinion/views when there is a lull in play or when there is something that the commentator might not spot. He seems to think he is there to share the commentary with Stephen Alkin.

I found last night, the BBC, via the red button, you can have no commentary but still hear the crowd etc, excellent function.

Only issue is BBC arent showing all the matches like RTE are!, they are sharing with ITV

I had to watch some games on Al Jazeera. Frank Stapleton was giving pre/post match analysis; the Apres Match persona is not far off reality.

Ray Wilkinson was on last night for the England game; His agenda was purely John Terry related and couldn't see one flaw in the man.

You mean Ray Wilkins? He's a total moron when it comes to anything Chelsea related.

Sorry, yes Wilkins. If I hadn't known better I'd have sworn it was a Chelsea game alright.

Trevor Francis was quite good.

OK, Purple — I'll revert to the old one until I find something suitable by Germaine Greer. ;)

See now nobody knows what I was talking about.
It was;
το γήρας και την προδοσία θα ξεπεράσει τη νεολαία και την ικανότητα

Which translates to;
old age and treachery will overcome youth and ability

and don't bring that vile woman into another thread :D

Once upon a time I used to watch Irish Internationals (or should I have said Ireland International?) in a pub. The Celtic jersey brigade on every occasion after singing every anti Brit song in their extensive repertoire insisted that the publican change the television commentary to the BBC.
Aye, right you are.

I found last night, the BBC, via the red button, you can have no commentary but still hear the crowd etc, excellent function.

Only issue is BBC arent showing all the matches like RTE are!, they are sharing with ITV
I would listen to the BBC radio 5 live commentary, they're much better than the TV commentators, apart from Alan Green, who is insufferable.

Back