RTE and the American not-yet-an-election

tell that to John Kerry:rolleyes:

Oh All right. I think he will win because the Republicans are better at fixing the elections AND John McCain is a war hero with no ongoing campaign by fellow veterans smearing his name and calling his war record into disrepute. Plus his opponents are attempting to break the mould in terms of who voters trust in office. That is why I think John McCain will win. I hope he doesn't, mind you.

Within the Republican Party, McCain would be regarded as someone who has not always voted along party lines and who has supported Democrat positions on some individual issues. This has given him much broader appeal, especially among neutral voters, than other candidates who always follow the party line.

There are very few people who hate McCain whereas a huge proportion of the electorate hate Clinton - some US polls are saying that up to 50% of the population would never vote Clinton, regardless of who she was up against. Obama is far too lightweight - good speaker, but little substance to what he says. I could see him being devoured in the type of long drawn out dog eat dog style US elections. Reminds me a lot of the Democratic front runner in the early days last time around (Dean?). Fizzled out to nothing.

Within the Republican Party, McCain would be regarded as someone who has not always voted along party lines and who has supported Democrat positions on some individual issues. This has given him much broader appeal, especially among neutral voters, than other candidates who always follow the party line.

There are very few people who hate McCain whereas a huge proportion of the electorate hate Clinton - some US polls are saying that up to 50% of the population would never vote Clinton, regardless of who she was up against. Obama is far too lightweight - good speaker, but little substance to what he says. I could see him being devoured in the type of long drawn out dog eat dog style US elections. Reminds me a lot of the Democratic front runner in the early days last time around (Dean?). Fizzled out to nothing.

Many people in the Republican party cannot stand John McCain - indeed, there is a long list of Senators and former Senators who have lined up to attack/criticise him - only last night, he was booed by the . He really needs someone like Mike Huckabee as his running mate, otherwise it is unlikely conservatives/evangelicals etc. would bother turning out to vote if the choice is between McCain and AN Other versus the Democrat nominee.

However I agree with you that he is popular with independent voters and would likely do well there.

Kerry lost out because he is . :)

i think Obama is married to an african american too, he better keep that quiet.....

McCain will win for one reason only, he's the safe white guy, as much as many might like the idea of a woman or a black president, once they are in the secrecy of the ballot box is where real attitudes will be shown

as much as many might like the idea of a woman or a black president, once they are in the secrecy of the ballot box is where real attitudes will be shown
I quite like the idea of a woman. This doesn't change when I enter the ballot box. I don't think a black president would do anything for me though...

Ok.. have to admit I love the coverage... mostly because they are going mad with themselves for electing GWB not once - but twice! It's a whole new "told you so" experience for me.

But here's something- which candidate would be best for Ireland, or does it matter?

Hillary Clinton maybe, based on Bill's past and present interest. But I just can't take to her. I would love to see Obama do it, the States needs to be revitalised, and he would get things rolling again.

If I could vote I'd vote Democrat but the Republicans are better for Ireland as the Democrats want to stop jobs going overseas (to places like Ireland).
I think most of the bile aimed at Hillary is because of her husband and her policies rather than her gender.
I agree that McCain is the most likely option but he is on the liberal (or libertarian) wing of the Republican party and is supported by fellow liberal Republicans like Schwarzenegger (who has done a fine job running the fifth biggest economy in the world over the last few years).
Whatever happens the born again Christians are out of the White House and that, IMHO, is 100% a good thing.

It looks as if McCain is the man. But right-wing he is ......... and like all politicos, is a bit of a chancer. A chequered past never stopped an ambitous man. But he should have a word in his voice trainer's ear after that mad parody of The Beach Boys' "Barb'ra Ann". He should also get his people to check out the zeitgeist. A lot more bodybags ill be flying westwards if he gets to the Oval office.

A lot more bodybags ill be flying westwards if he gets to the Oval office.
Stay in Iraq forever, close the boarder and No gay marriage. I think is his strategy.

PS - I hope his experience as a POW didn't damage him. :eek:

The USA is far more tolerant of illegal immigrants than we are so I don't think we should be casting the first stone.

If national security becomes the main issue (say because of another terrorist attack, War with Iran etc) McCain will win. He also needs Iraq to stay quiet for any chance at all as he is the uber Hawk there. If it blows up again he's finished.
If, as seems increasing likely, the US slips into a recession and the economy become the major issue, either Democrat will win quite easily.

Does anyone think that Edward Kennedy did a bit of back stabbing by coming out for Obama or was that done because he reckons Barack has longer coat-tails than H.Clinton? I read somewhere that while Bill was in office he particularly promoted E.K. onto committees and other positions of power. I've always did think he was insubstantial compared to his two assassinated brothers.

It's easy to see how young voters are enamoured of Barack - tall, good looking, glamerous, a great speaker and trotting out sound bytes like "change", "vision" and "new" but I haven't heard him say anything of any substance yet. The more I see of him on CNN and MSNBC the more he reminds me of a film star acting a part. I gather too he's avoiding real debate where he could be pinned down. At least Hillary has the honesty to say she will commence a process to pull out of Iraq whereas Obama is going to wave his visionary wand and it will all happen - just like that! How nieve are the American people? I don't think so.

I'm biased of course (and why not the first woman president of the US) but Hillary could be seen as a compromise between McCain and Obama especially in terms of Iraq.

Does anyone think that Edward Kennedy did a bit of back stabbing by coming out for Obama or was that done because he reckons Barack has longer coat-tails than H.Clinton? I read somewhere that while Bill was in office he particularly promoted E.K. onto committees and other positions of power. I've always did think he was insubstantial compared to his two assassinated brothers.

It's easy to see how young voters are enamoured of Barack - tall, good looking, glamerous, a great speaker and trotting out sound bytes like "change", "vision" and "new" but I haven't heard him say anything of any substance yet. The more I see of him on CNN and MSNBC the more he reminds me of a film star acting a part. I gather too he's avoiding real debate where he could be pinned down. At least Hillary has the honesty to say she will commence a process to pull out of Iraq whereas Obama is going to wave his visionary wand and it will all happen - just like that! How nieve are the American people? I don't think so.

I'm biased of course (and why not the first woman president of the US) but Hillary could be seen as a compromise between McCain and Obama especially in terms of Iraq.

As EK is coming to the end of his career I happen to think his endorsement was as genuine as any politicians endorsement ever is. And I say that as an admirer and supporter of Hillary Clinton( not that it matters as i am merely an onlooker). equally I feel fairly unbiased about Ek so while my view may/maynot be correct it is fair.

I have not been excited by Obama at all. I find him a little too polished, fake too clever too pc. While he could turn out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread equally he may be a disaster. And I think the gloss willstart to wear off as soon as he is the democratic nominee and if there is nothing substansial underneath then Hello President McCain! But can I say that this is totally unbiased given that I have admired Hillary for many many years... I dont know! One thing I certainly know is that my caution/ concerns are not based on the colour of his skin! Frankly I have many biases and prejudices but I know skin colour is not one of them.
Yet and in a weird way the very fact that criticizing Obama almost inevitably brings the racism card into play makes me dislike him despite the fact that this is not his fault. and then it makes me doubt my own reasons for not liking Obama! What I mean is if i criticise a white male then as a white person its ok but as a white person criticizing obama I leave myself open to the racism card. As in if Bill Clinton had used the Fairy tale word about a young idealistic white guy no prob but using it against a young idealistic black guy its racist! Which makes it very difficult if not impossible to fight him without accusations of rascism which in itself is a reverse type of rascism.

Then to a slighty lesser ( or maybe that should be more subtle yet more real) degree the same could be said about gender issues.

So when you take race/ gender/ the fact that america is the biggest super power/ the(imho) disaster of the Bush years/ all that this planet is facing vis a vis nuclear power/ global warning/ religious extremism then this US election and the primaries are fascinating and globally important so frankly I say how can you not be fascinated and lets have at least as much coverage if not more! In the grander scheme of things its way more important than BertieGate or the premier league or the six nations or or anything the EU is doing right now ( and I say this as someone who is interested in all of the above).

Whether we like it or not the identity of the US president and the political climate in the US affects us greatly... the last 7 years has taught me that anyway.

As an onlooker too I'm still perplexed about why E.K. didn't support H.C. so I don't understand this:
Originally Posted by Madangan
As EK is coming to the end of his career I happen to think his endorsement was as genuine as any politicians endorsement ever is. And I say that as an admirer and supporter of Hillary Clinton( not that it matters as i am merely an onlooker). equally I feel fairly unbiased about Ek so while my view may/maynot be correct it is fair.
I really don't know what exactly JFK did during his term of office to warrant mass retrospective adulation now seemingly being transferred to Obama; neither do I understand what exactly Hillary Clinton has done to deserve the hatred of 50% of the U.S. population which I read somewhere. One anti-Clinton voter criticised her for standing by her husband during the Monica affair! What that fact has to do with her ability, intelligence, experience and suitability for the job is quite beyond my understanding.

I think it's very sad that young females in the U.S. flock to the support of a good looking male, one without a track record but who happens to be a good orator. If it weren't for women like Hillary Clinton and others like her, young women today wouldn't have the freedom of choice and independence they now enjoy but seem to take for granted. They seem to be behaving like besotted pop star fans. As an Irish politician once said "that's women for you"!! Of course if I were an African American I too would support Obama but that doesn't explain why such large numbers of white males support him too. I don't suppose it could be good old chauvenism.........;)

Last edited:
The clintons and the kennedys were very cosy for years but there certainly appears to have been a bust up behind the scenes leading to EK publicly endorsing Obama. Its interesting that several of Bobby Kennedys kids have endorsed Hillary but that really has not been seized on by the media.
What really perplexes me is the adulation of Obama by the media but then this is the same media who failed to ask real questions of the Bush Admin before Iraq War and for a long time after. Obama may well be the best thing since sliced bread but I for one am very wary of messiah types.If as I am beginning to thinkhe gets the nomination when will the backlash begin...before Novemnber or when he is in the white house.
I am actually beginning to dislike him although if I actually heard what changes he proposes to make as opposed to continuously hearing that he is going to make changes then maybe I would begin to trust him.And its a long way to November so many of his followers might get tired of slogans and want a bit of substance long before then.
I also find it hard to believe that so many people like his message of being a non washington man etc.. I mean wasnt that George Bush's mantra in 2000 also and look how well that turned out. Anyway if i was going to engage the services of a lawyer/doctor/builder/plumber I would not hire the one with little experience when the experienced one was available.
I basically want a safe pair of hands in the the white house and as dull and boring as that may be HC fills that brief way better than OB

Back