RTB very late payment

Blackwexford

Hi All
Any advice much appreciated very worried about this. I have alway been compliant with tax and RTB. Issue is new Tennant now two years I never stupidly registered honestly kept forgetting. My fault totally I know I will have late payment due to my own stupidly no one else's. I am worried about best way to proceed. Last year I gave my old RTB number thinking I had registered . I have rang a few times to sort out but can't get through. Any suggestions, anyone had same issue?
Thanks in advance for any advice

A lot of threads say that it is hopeless to deal with them via phone or email.

Just write them a letter saying you would like to register a tenancy in arrears and asking for them to write back to you with a process for doing so and the cost.

Keep a scan of the letter and use registered post.

Once you've started the process you can stop worrying.

Why not register now and put in date of start of truancy, this triggers a late payment fee and jobs a good un. I did similar a few years ago, was 6 months late and just did the above and heard nothing further.

Agree; print off their forms, figure out the late penalty fee & enclose cheque (if you have a book!).

Keep a copy & if you're feeling anxious send by recorded delivery & keep the docket.

Greetings

We failed to register tenants 2018-2020, and 2020-2022. The system did not work and we forgot about it.

We are currently trying to register new tenants and again the system is not working. We have emailed [email protected] with new tenants.

As the two tenancies from 2018 were not registered we are really worried that we will receive heavy fines.

We cannot find any forms to submit previous tenancies. In the absence of forms, should we just send them a letter with tenant details?

Further, we do not know the actual late penalty fee. How much is it? I understand Euro 10 per month? Is this correct? So Euro 480 is due?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
John

Thanks a million for your reply.

Neither tenant was registered. However, we plan to sell after the current tenancy, and we were worried that the legal process might require official PRTB details on all previous tenants.

If you have any further thoughts on this, not least in regard to late penalty fees. Truthfully would prefer not to have it hanging over me.

Thanks again.
Best wishes
John

Hi John just finished the registration on the website a real pain. Anyway the period was from 30/11/2021 the fee was €220 not so bad. What annoyed me was once the payment was processed no email or information like we will respond in 5 working days.
Best of luck

Last edited:
Thanks a million for your reply.

Neither tenant was registered. However, we plan to sell after the current tenancy, and we were worried that the legal process might require official PRTB details on all previous tenants.

If you have any further thoughts on this, not least in regard to late penalty fees. Truthfully would prefer not to have it hanging over me.

Thanks again.
Best wishes
John
Also be aware that if mortgage interest was claimed as an expense against the rental property, the rental property is required to be registered with the RTB. It might be an issue if you had an audit down the line.

I'm open to correction but don't think so.

It might be an issue if you had an audit down the line.
Chance of an audit are low and even then are there potential consequences? If taxpayer correctly claimed relief and can demonstrate a tenancy was in place (via bank statements and a tenancy agreement) what will Revenue do about a missing RTB registration?

Chance of an audit are low and even then are there potential consequences? If taxpayer correctly claimed relief and can demonstrate a tenancy was in place (via bank statements and a tenancy agreement) what will Revenue do about a missing RTB registration?
The last time I sent someone off to contact the RTB to obtain a historic list of their previous tenancy registrations, the RTB confirmed by return email that they were at that stage unable to do so. That's how bad they are.

Call the rtb as soon as they open, its easier to get someone on the phone, they are usually very helpful, you will have to pay a late fee but they will assist you on the phone while you are registering the tenancy. I just did it last week.

Back