RTÉ's "Room to Improve" -Dermot Bannon has Quantity Surveyor on board for new series.

No argument there.

I think one reason his work costs more is that he wants it to last, not look dog-eared in a year or two, which is what you tend to get if you trim too many costs.

The point of an architect isn't to race to the bottom, but to ensure that affordable value-for-money options are selected that give the best return.

Decisions based on short term savings tend to cost more in the long term with buildings because buildings are long term investments.

A lot of the cost seems to be his love of bespoke windows. Which I don't think is a longevity issue.

Are his designs not very 'samey' though?

Every single episode I've seen has him turning the back of the house into a 'garden room', and having big huge glass doors that fold open?

Having said that the design is lovely, but the backs of the houses seem to always have that feature in it.

Totally agree. Watching this programme has been a learning experience for me in terms of knowing what I do not want and first on my list would be anything that Bannon wants. As well as the above its the atrium or cathedral ceiling type thingy on every project - comical - I live in a house with one of these - cold. cold, cold. You can get a bright spacious house without this.......

Its a cookie cutter samey style that I never liked but at least until 3 or 4 years ago had the advantage of being "new". Now it looks dated as well as samey. He'll need to vary his act if he wants to keep the interest. I can't but laugh when he tells the client what they can't have. Sorry mate - the client is the one who has to live with it.

If the client doesn't want to take professional advice its on their head, but don't let them come back whinging when it all goes pear shaped because they didn't listen to their architect.

A lot of the cost seems to be his love of bespoke windows. Which I don't think is a longevity issue.

Getting cheap bespoke windows is a longevity issue. :)

And if you don't properly support those bi-folding doors, you're in trouble...

(nods)

If they don't value investing in their home, then possibly.
But there seems to be an underlying issue with this particular issue.

Most laypeople on their first build grossly under-estimate building costs.
Their experience of pricing of major items relates more to motor cars at that stage in their lives.

My experience suggests they think anything over €40,000 is a "Luxury" item when it is shell-only 40sqm territory.
And apart from this economic disaster we're in, property investment tends to return to you in time - most cars just depreciate.

Prices at the moment seems to range (anecdotally on the first one) from
€60 for direct labour
€80 for basic contractor build
€100 for shell only reasonable quality.
Labour prices are at rock bottom but materials prices are not.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

I like the show and think it has improved since it was extended to 60 minutes. I was also getting annoyed with the huge budget over-runs.
I accept the Architect mostly gets the blame for this and this blame is sometimes unfair as clients start with an unrealistic budget. To be fair, Bannon has been very blias in the past.

The QS will add realism to the process even if the programme makers are making her out to be the badie. Thankfully the unrealistic scene of clients crying at the design meeting is gone. I do good work but nobody ever cried:)

Past shows can be viewed on RTE player at a time a suit you. 1st episode is available until 5th October at http://www.rte.ie/ten/listings/105619_tvod_Room_to_Improve

If they don't value investing in their home, then possibly...

What does that mean???

If a project isn't doable on the budget then don't do it. It doesn't matter what industry or sector you are in.

It will be interesting if Bannon is more often on budget in this series than the others.

What does that mean???

If a project isn't doable on the budget then don't do it. It doesn't matter what industry or sector you are in.

It will be interesting if Bannon is more often on budget in this series than the others.

Formulating a budget is something that needs careful consideration.

Thankfully the unrealistic scene of clients crying at the design meeting is gone. I do good work but nobody ever cried:)

Mine never stop crying - they all want what they cannot afford and they want it now!

Careful attention to phasing and finishing and spreading the work over years - slow architecture - is the route to success and fulfillment.

Any one see this weeks episode? I thought the window design at the front of the property was horrible too but what better alternative is there when you are left with that awful 60's/70's rectangular shape to fill?

Whatever about the look of the windows, I was amazed that the clients didn't seem to know what they would look like until they were in! Shouldn't it be the job of the architect to ensure the client consulted with the windows suppliers during the selection process to ensure they were happy with what was going in, well before anything was ordered? Maybe he did and they weren't bothered until it was too late but it didn't seem that way from watching the show.

No, it didn't seem as if they had ever seen the window design. But the design was one I wouldn't have expected Dermot Bannon to choose either- in earlier programmes he often gave out to his clients for choosing window designs with too wide frames.

I liked the island but I didn't think it was quite as innovative as he seemed to think!;)

I thought Dermot washed his hands of any responsibility for the windows and just said 'paint them'.

I'd be seriously annoyed if I had to put up with painted PVC windows instead of having them delivered in the correct colour in the first place.

Poor showing by him in my opinion.

Whatever about the look of the windows, I was amazed that the clients didn't seem to know what they would look like until they were in! Shouldn't it be the job of the architect to ensure the client consulted with the windows suppliers during the selection process to ensure they were happy with what was going in, well before anything was ordered? Maybe he did and they weren't bothered until it was too late but it didn't seem that way from watching the show.

Agreed.

The windows and external doors are probably the most expensive single element in a build. If the client does not want to do or look at anything else, I always suggest/insist they at least visit suggested window showrooms (with me) to educate themselves in terms of the window design, finishes, operating systems, etc., I am proposing.

Having said that, the windows in last nights programme were pretty ture to the original design. It was just the colour.

I liked the island but I didn't think it was quite as innovative as he seemed to think!;)

I thought the island unit in the photo he showed them looked nice. I wasn't mad about the one they finally built with the cheaper type of wood.

Didnt like the 'island' thing at all!
Enjoyed the program, was like an episode from a soap with all the different characters - and I mean that in a nice way!

Was very impressed with his design last night - mainly because my own house would be very similar to their original cottage so it was interesting to see what could be done. Didn't like the island myself but pretty much everything else was great. The builder came across very well as well - I don't know if all builders would be so friendly and accommodating . Maybe it was just me but 'Aunty May' didn't seem to have any input at all to the rest of the house including the kitchen which I was surprised at but obviously she has given over the house to the family.

Back