RPZ’s and house sales

Purple

The rents that greedy landlords can charge in RPZ’s are capped at 2% more that they charged the previous year. But what about those greedy people selling houses? They are the real reason that housing is unaffordable. Why not cap the price they can sell at? The price should be no more than the purchase price plus 2 or 3% per year for each year they owned it.
We need to tackle those greedy property owners, seeking to exploit the young and the vulnerable. After all, this is a crisis.

I can see some problems with that.

I could only sell my house that I bought 25 years ago for €200k, but my neighbour who bought the identical house next door last year could sell his for over €600k.

Last edited:
I could only sell my house that I bought 25 years ago for €200k, but my neighbour who bought the identical house next door last year could sell his for over €600k.
So same issue that landlords have
LL who rented at a good deal in 2016 and didn't increase rents is renting at €1200 and can increase to €1224 this year

LL who started to rent identical house in same development last year Is renting at €2200 as not subject to previous rent level

I could only sell my house that I bought 25 years ago for €200k
Ah, but you could get round that by leaving your home empty for two years & then you could sell at the market rate.

Of course you'd have to move your family out of your home; maybe a kind relative would take the children while you and your partner couch surf.

But no one would buy his house while they'd be queuing up to buy yours.

But no one would buy his house while they'd be queuing up to buy yours.
Ah but they wouldn't be able to; eldest offspring would refuse to move out claiming they were tenants & demanding first refusal.

(I trust everyone has checked the date by now)

Back