Routine Bone Scan

Harry31

I just wondered if the cost of this is covered under my prsi? Is there a national screening programme (like breast check ) which is free?

If your GP or a Consultant refers you for the scan to a public hospital then it will be free. If you're referred to a private hospital then you'd need to check with your private health insurer about any possible cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, I was referred by nurse in GP's as I haven't had one for a few years, to cork university hospital & the letter from them says it is €80. I rang to ask about the cost & was told that's the cost, cash or cheque. I know my insurer would cover 75% of the cost! but I thought screening programmes were free - like breast check.

There's no national screening programme for bones unfortunately. Hopefully your insurer will cover most of it for you.

Arbiton, I think you are incorrect about scans in public hospitals being free, it depends who refers you. I attended a consultant privately, he referred me for a mammogram in a public facility. I was charged approx €100 for the radiologist report.

Hi Breege, I was referring to public referrals. If you involve private consultants then fees may apply.

Back