Route/traffic - Airport to Stephens Green - Rush Hour

RainyDay

Hi folks - I need to get from the Airport to Stephens Green at 5pm tomorrow Weds. My options are straight into town on the M1 and cross over to the Green, or head round the M50 to Dundrum & hop on the Luas. What time should I allow for the M1/town option? Am I naive in thinking that most of the traffic would be coming out of town against me? Would the friendly match at Landsdowne have any impact at that time of the evening?

Hi Rainyday,

You don't say which mode of transport you are using? When you mention using the Luas presume you are not driving? Found the Aircoach service to be very good recently and because of bus lanes it got thru the traffic quite quickly. Would using it as far as town and then jump on the Luas be an option?

Thanks Sueellen - I will be in the car at the airport. I could ditch the car and hit the Aircoach/bus lanes, but I'd have to head back out later and recover the car, which would be a real pain.

RainyDay said:
Thanks Sueellen - I will be in the car at the airport. I could ditch the car and hit the Aircoach/bus lanes, but I'd have to head back out later and recover the car, which would be a real pain.

IMHO M50 would be your best option. Any time I travel on the bridges over the M50 at approx. 4.30/5.00 most of the traffic is heading away from Dundrum direction. Not too sure about the impact of the match on the traffic. Think you would be absolutely nuts to abandon car and do the journey for a 2nd time on the same day.

Got the Aircoach from the Airport Monday morning leaving at 0745. Got to Kildare St at 0930.

This city is a joke.

Avoid the M1 into town - single lane due to port tunnel works and it is always backed up from Griffith avenue out to Coolock exit inbound.

My failsafe route - and I commute from Swords to town daily is as follows :
Go out back exit of airport and turn left (or else north from main roundabout to Coachman's roundabout and take a left)
Straight along back roads (passing St Margarets) to roundabout at end of runway. (approx 2.5 miles)
Straight through roundabout.
Continue on this road until you pass over M50. (approx 2 miles)
Left at next roundabout (just over M50 bridge)
Right at next junction (only 300 yards) - new houses/apartments just at junction. (you are now on Jamestown road)
Straight down (straight through roundabout) to next lights. (about 0.5 miles)
Take left at lights.
Straight down to end (T junction) - 0.5 miles - passing Willows pub on LHS
Go right and then left at roundabout. (200 yards) You are now on Glasnevin Avenue(or Ballymun Avenue - depends who you talk to !)
Straight about 1 mile until junction with Ballymun Road.
Right here and then all way down past DCU, Griffith Avenue and take left onto Home Farm road.
Take first right down to bottom by the Tolka/park.
Follow road around until you get to Drumcondra Road at Millmount house.
Take a right here and go straight down Dorset St onto Bolton St.
Go left just before Bolton St DIT and down beside Virgin Cinema and Stringfellows (stop to waste a quick 20 quid!).
Right at lights onto Parnell St.
Left down Wolfe Tone St (go down here rather than Capel St - no traffic)
Down to end past the little park (Jervis Park)
Right onto Abbey St, Left onto Capel st, over Capel st bridge, right City Hall and Sharp Left up around Dublin Castle, down Werburgh St, onto Bride St, Kevin St, Cuffe St, Stephen's Green.

Or else go left off Parliament St onto Dame St, down Westmoreland St, up D'Olier st, college green, nassau st, kildare st, stephen's green, depending which side of the green you want !

total travel time should be lass than 1 hour - you should be on Drumcondra road within 35 minutes and from there in it's anyone's guess - maybe another 25 minutes !

hope this helps.
Note - I now commute on a motorbike but did drive in for about 5 years.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I decided to stick with the divil I know and headed back round the M50 to Dundrum and hopped on the Luas into town. Fairly quick & painless.

Back