Roundabouts in Limerick

Vanilla

I've been using the dual carraigeway around Limerick quite a bit recently and am having problems with the roundabouts. It's like there's a local agreement on what lanes to use! Am I losing the plot or has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't seem to follow the rules of the road anyway!

The rules are: look straight and once you see an opening any opening put the foot down.

Went to Dingle about 5 years ago and my route took me through a system of about 6 or 7 roundabouts on the outskirts of Limerick. Are these the ones?

It was absolute chaos.

Nearly got clipped 2 or 3 times by other indignant drivers who were seemingly oblivious to the fact that I was employing correct lane discipline when they were not. :mad: :rolleyes:

The roundabouts in Limerick are bad!

My mum's attitude is get on the roundabout, no need to signal, before, during or after, and any lane available is free game! (She lives there). Frightening being in passenger seat..

Nicola

I've been using the dual carraigeway around Limerick quite a bit recently and am having problems with the roundabouts. It's like there's a local agreement on what lanes to use! Am I losing the plot or has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't seem to follow the rules of the road anyway!

Funny you should say that, I was thinking the very same thing this morning. One roundabout in particular I really don't know what lane to go in because it seems like a free for all. Makes the drive a little bit more interesting!

Phew! At least I am not imagining it. I have lately begun to doubt myself- as each roundabout approaches I find myself wondering which lane to go in! Particularly the dublin road roundabout- the argument in my head goes- Okay this is the correct lane, yeah but every one else goes in the other lane- right but they're wrong- they might be wrong but if I go with the flow at least no-one is going to crash into me...etc etc

Caveat- those are the ones alright!

The problem (or one anyway) with the parkway one is that the Dublin road incoming comes straight onto it. Most roundabouts make you slow down and turn to the left. So cars hit this at 45 - 50mph which makes it very hard to judge trying to get onto it and disastrous consequences if you misjudge.

My recollection of the rules (or the ones I use!):

1st exit (turning left), signal left, get into the left lane on approach.
2nd exit (going stright on), left lane on approach, no signal on entry, signal left as you pass the 1st exit. On some roundabout where's there a big queue going left I think its acceptable to use the right hand lane on approach.
3rd exit (turning right), right lane on approach, signal right, after you've passed the first exit try to manouvre yourself into the left lane, you might have to wait until you pass the 2nd exit. Once you've passed the 2nd exit signal left, sometimes there are 2 lanes on the exit road off which makes things easier but obviously be careful when these merge (as do tend to within about 10 yards).

If things go against you then dont panic and whatever you do dont swerve because you're about to miss the exit. Do a lap of the roundabout on the inside lane & try again. BUT too many laps of the inside lane makes you dizzy !!!

I always remember going up as a young girl to visit my older sister in university in Cork, my mother driving and her identical twin navigating. The two of them decided to have a glass of wine with lunch and proceeded to drive the wrong way around the Wilton roundabout. They didn't even notice for a while that they had gone wrong! To their credit ( and typical for Corkonians) not one other driver beeped! Most had a look of consternation followed by laughter on their faces...

But that was nothing to the blase attitude of the people of limerick to the rules of the road! I think Mr.Mans and NicolaMs posts accurately sum up their method!

Just came through the new (huge diameter) roundabout near Finnegan's last night and had to do a lap of honour as I was on the inside lane (heading for Dublin). If there is traffic in the left lane there is no way you can chance coming off left for Dublin. However, I find the rest of them OK.

One thing that always struck me was that in various parts of the country which never had roundabouts but into which roundabouts were introduced a new local "law" seemed to come into force. I won't name the area but about five years ago a roundabout was put onto a road leading to a sizeable town. The roundabout was put into accomodate traffic coming from a new minor road which led into a new housing estate. However the traffic on the existing road continued to plough straight ahead as though the roundabout didn't exist - I saw several near misses on it as cars went through it while cars were already on it having entered from the housing estate road. And it wasn't one of those mickey mouse concrete roundabouts - it was a substantial one with flowers in the middle.

Back