ROS vs Paper

vector

While its very modern and fast etc etc to use ROS I for one am sticking to Paper forms?

Why, because I send them by Registered Post. It seems to me that when dealing with the Revenue Commissioners - who do have the power to fine and/or imprison (via the courts of course) it is wise to have 3rd party proof (An Post) of submitting a return.

Of course they could say you sent an empty envelope! but at least you have some proof, some document.

Opinions?

I believe - thought I could be wrong - that soon you won't have any choice but to submit electronically.

If the revenue adopt a form of XML hash system then you'll get a digital 'receipt' that'll be better than the An Post idea you suggest.
When people submit using paper, it costs everyone more. It must cost a fortune for revenue to re-key in all that information.

Even now, you get receipts in the ROS in box, so I can't see what the problem is.

ROS all the way for me. Particularly Form 11. It is so easy, and does all the calculations for you. Plus you get an extra 17 days or so above the 31 Oct. deadline.

I get the documents all together, and decide on a time to do it (I am a personal filer, not an agent). It takes at most 10 to 15 minutes, if you are organised and have everything to hand.

Your ROS inbox has all the records of what you filed, your assessment etc. Just print them off. I think Revenue are very careful about ROS as they want as many as possible to file online. Their helpline is very good too.

The only problem I have ever had with ROS was when my laptop died with the digital cert on it. When I got a new one, I had to apply again, but it was easy, took just a few days, and away I went again.

I wouldn't trust the post TBH anymore, particularly close to the deadline. There are surcharges for late filing. You can file on ROS right up to midnight on the filing date. But I would always do it early (very early) that morning!

>you get receipts in the ROS in box, so I can't see what the problem is.[/QUOTE]

What if one day, you login to ROS and your inbox is empty?
you don't have a leg to stand on, and those "receipts" are on ordinary paper, not watermarked revenue paper, sure you could have made them yourself
(this goes into the idea of are online receipts acceptable in court?)

Everythings fine until something goes wrong!

I imagine the forms are OCR'ed/ICR'ed and Clerical Officers (or workers in a developing english speaking country) correct errors. Thats how the passport forms are handled (the former, not the latter ;)

What happens if you log into your bank account and there's nothing there? (And you haven't spent the money yourself)

I imagine the forms are OCR'ed/ICR'ed and Clerical Officers (or workers in a developing english speaking country) correct errors.
What if they make a mistake?
Still a lot of unnecessary work.

Anyway, like I said earlier, it's only a matter of time before you won't have any choice. It'll all have to be electronic filing.

How do you pay? - do you have to start writing cheques? They'll be gone soon as well.
Time to say goodbye to the quill and hello to the 21st Century

>What if they make a mistake?

Then you end up in court in 20 years time or in font of a tribunal for tax evasion, and you have nothing to fall back on, don;t you wish you used a paper form now?!
ok thats tongue in cheek,

With OCR the computer reads most of the figures, thats why there are boxes on the form and its why youre not suppose to write outside the boxes. The humans just correct some errors, or badly written figures, on their screen.

>How do you pay? - do you have to start writing cheques?
They always owe me money so its never arisen, but I'd use a single debit authority if I had to, or yes a cheque

>Time to say goodbye to the quill and hello to the 21st Century
just because its newer doesn't make it better
take bank statements, have you switched to PDF versions?
when you're applying for a mortgage or credit card etc will they be accepted as "originals"? there is alot to be said for real-paper

>What happens if you log into your bank account and there's nothing there? (And you haven't spent the money yourself)

Then I contact my bank and say I didn't make the withdrawl.
We go to court where I can produce my 15 years of paper original bank statements, and ever ATM docket ever received.

I might still lose but I have some "proof" some exhibits

>What if they make a mistake?

Then you end up in court in 20 years time or in font of a tribunal for tax evasion, and you have nothing to fall back on, don;t you wish you used a paper form now?!
ok thats tongue in cheek,

With OCR the computer reads most of the figures, thats why there are boxes on the form and its why youre not suppose to write outside the boxes. The humans just correct some errors, or badly written figures, on their screen.

>How do you pay? - do you have to start writing cheques?
They always owe me money so its never arisen, but I'd use a single debit authority if I had to, or yes a cheque

>Time to say goodbye to the quill and hello to the 21st Century
just because its newer doesn't make it better
take bank statements, have you switched to PDF versions?
when you're applying for a mortgage or credit card etc will they be accepted as "originals"? there is alot to be said for real-paper

I hear you.....

But if it becomes mandatory (e filing), as it will before too long, then everyone is in the same boat.

I just print off everything for my file, and take screen shots of everything produced on line. Save it to my "tax file" and there you go.

I also take screenshots, buts doesn;t it annoy you when the finished article never appears on one final page at the end, or as a downloadable PDF, who wants to take screen shots of 20 pages along the way, or perhaps even 3 screen shots it the page scrolls vertically.

I am weary of making things online only, do you remember the oil crisis? electricity even in london turned off for hours at night, we cannot rely on electricity, there is alot to be said for paper, because even in a postal strike you can physically deliver it. and don;t think "oh but if electiricty was cut off nationally, then the revenue commissioners would be more flexible? maybe but how long would that take, look at ryanairs flexible position on accepting photo ID instead of a passport during the current passport office industrial action, have they?> and after how long?

It sounds pedantic, but let me remind you when it comes to tax the Revenue Commissioners huge powers (even powers to search a business premises)

Back