Rockwool Insulation

rmdt

What thickness of Rockwool do I need to achieve a u-value of 0.12 when insulating my attic (between/over ceiling joists)?

Also what sort of prices are people being quoted for rolls of rockwool?

Joists are 400mm spacing

Just pricing Rockwool at the moment. Prices for a 6 meter roll vary from 19e to 22.50 a roll in the Tullamore, Mullingar, Killucan area

I am using fibreglass instead of rockwoll for roof insulation. I use the rockwool for internal studded walls as it has better sound insulation... Fibreglass was cheaper than rockwool when I was purchasing... In Laois you can nab a 7m2 roll of fibreglass for between €17.85 to €18.50 (or a lot more if you want).. I paid the 18.50, 2 weeks later another builder provider went down to 17.85 - I was raging...

Does 300mm really get you 0.11/0.12 area, didn't think it got that good a U-Value!

your better of using fibreglass insulation 2 layers of 150m i fit it every day of the week and all say its great

Thanks guys,

I know that fibreglass is cheaper but there is no way that I will use it as find it terrible stuff to work with and will be laying it myself!

Has anyone an experience of blown rockwool insulation? How does it compare pricewise to laying rolls of rockwool yourself?

Would also be interested to hear of peoples opinions of the blown paper insulation.

Thanks

get the Knauf Space Blankets...its fiberglass is a roll covered in plastic. Easy to roll out

I know that fibreglass is cheaper but there is no way that I will use it as find it terrible stuff to work with and will be laying it myself!

I got 6" fibre glass (not itchy at all) roll insulation (made by British Gas) in B&Q in the north for £10 a roll. I think it covers about 6 sq metres. Very good for top up insulation.

Last edited:
I got 6" fibre glass (not itchy at all) roll insulation (made by British Gas) in B&Q in the north for £10 a roll. I think it covers about 6 sq metres. Very good for top up insulation.

B&Q are selling 200mm British Gas stuff for €13 a roll - & it does itch I can tell ya that much!

if you do find that it itch,s have a cold shower followed by a hot shower

didn't itch at all for me... I can tell ya that much :rolleyes:

I accidentally brushed my arms across it when installing & the fibers embedded - not nice at all.......nevertheless here's a dare for ya BarneyMc - grab a fistfull of this stuff - stuff it down your jocks & take the dog for a walk :D

Back