RoadRage: Harrassed at Traffic Lights

I don't think 'roadrage' is mentioned anywhere in the road traffic act - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure is this link works but the Road Safety Authority has this;
Road rage and aggressive driving

If you display road rage as a driver, it means you have uncontrolled anger that results in intimidation or violence against another driver.
Aggressive driving is inconsiderate, stupid driving. It can involve speeding, tailgating (driving too close behind another vehicle), failing to use an indicator for lane changes, recklessly weaving in and out of traffic and over-use of a horn or flashing headlights.
If another driver is attempting to provoke you, donÕt react. Don't be tempted to speed up, brake or swerve suddenly. This could cause a crash or make other drivers think you are confronting them. Instead, stay calm and remain focused on your driving to complete your journey safely. Always remember that safety is your number one concern.
Report all incidents to your local Garda station or contact Traffic Watch on: Lo-Call 1890 205 805.

Not implying anything about your driving g1g (and i'm going off the point a wee bit) but extopia raises an interesting point. I'm sure most of us have been on the receiving or witnessed someone else being at the end of an aggressive blast of a horn for an unwitting error or otherwise. I manage to shrug it off in the knowledge that if they have enough time to sit on the horn, shake the fist or roar at me, then they had plenty of time to come to a safe stop to do all this!

flashed lights after I had braked safely. I only flashed them once. I wouldn't count that as roadrage.

I flash my lights at people alot and people flash their lights at me. Isn't that part of driving, getting out of a car and opening someones door is another thing all together.

It happened me a few days ago when a fellow motorist pulled up beside me to let me know he didn't like the way I nearly crashed into him (he reversed out of a side street onto main road) words were exchanged about the finer points of motoring.Have to say it didn't bother me in the slightest, people have bad days and some feel a need to vent.

The trouble with the roads is everybody thinks they own them (me included sometimes). If the OP was upset by the experiance and can't get over it, then report it and see what happens.

I'm talking about driving in the real world. If people didn't do it, you'd sit trying to get in and out of taffic, not slow down for speed trap or know the guy behide you was annoyed.

I had a similar incident (sort of)
I was entering a roundabout onto a dual carriageway and some idiot was coming belting down the DC and nearly hit the back of my car.
He proceeded to follow me and caught up after 3/4 mile down the road, flashing his lights and beeping.
I pulled over and locked the door and opened the drivers’ window a crack.
He came up and tried to open the door and started shouting and verbally abusing me.
He wasn't the biggest of chaps and myself and my mate were in the car.
My mate said now "off with yourself and don’t be annoying us - you were going far too fast up to the roundabout" He proceeded to shout so we myself and my mate looked at each other, un-buckled our seatbelts and went to open the car doors.
He soon shut up and went on his merry way.

Funny stuff :)

But it was quite intimidating at first all right

Mik

I'm talking about driving in the real world. If people didn't do it, you'd sit trying to get in and out of taffic, not slow down for speed trap or know the guy behide you was annoyed.

Very true. I always flash drivers of trailered vehicles (4wd & trailer), trucks etc. when overtaking them to alert them of my overtaking them. I nearly got caught once when they decided to overtake with me alongside them and from then on I did it. Not in the rules of the road, but better safe than sorry.

fwiw, I ride a bike to work everyday - and all bikes are fitted with a 'flash-to-pass' button..........so someone think's it's a necessity. And I do use it.

Similarly I get flashed and gesticulated to by guys to let me know my lights are on, during the day..............motorbikes can't turn off their lights at all anymore - EU law- and the switch has been removed..............you can't win !

I thought this was completely abandoned, I have never been succesful in getting through to the phone line so to me it says a lot about being harassed on the road ??

when i flash my lights at people its to let people out in traffic or at night its to tell them they have no lights on. Some ppl use them to warn the guards are ahead haha There are, i suppose another set of rules of the road that people know even if its not written in a book somewhere. People wont cross a main road if the lights are green why because they know they will get run over its not in the rules of the road book :) i know ill probably get pounced on for writing this.

Is it worth reporting?
No. Lock your door while driving. Refrain from getting involved with other motorists. Once she was in front of you she couldn't then hit into the back of you, which was a bonus.

No. Lock your door while driving. Refrain from getting involved with other motorists. Once she was in front of you she couldn't then hit into the back of you, which was a bonus.

Good advice. You never know what or who you'll encounter in a road rage incident so better to move on with your life and forget about it. (Though I fully know from countless experiences how aggrivating aggresive driving can be you're best to let it pass)

I once was trying to exit a left turn onto the keys. Driver behind me Beeped his horn. I got out of my car, and calmly said "If you hadn't beeped, I'd be gone by now"

I thought this was completely abandoned, I have never been succesful in getting through to the phone line so to me it says a lot about being harassed on the road ??
I'm a regular user, and I haven't had any problems getting through in yonks. There were some difficulties about 18-24 months ago, but I think they beefed up staffing at the call centre in Castlebar.

There were some difficulties about 18-24 months ago, but I think they beefed up staffing at the call centre in Castlebar.

Good to know ;). Are phone calls to it acted upon I wonder ?

Have to admit to occasionally provoking aggressive drivers. I'm not a slow driver, usually around 60-65 miles/hour on the main roads (only very small km marks on my ageing car). Drives me nuts when someone comes flying up behind me on small country roads overtaking other cars where you have no business overtaking anyone and then tailgating to force me into the side. At that point I find myself varying speed gently between 50-60 miles/hr. It's not unsafe, I'm not braking at all or slowing suddenly. I don't want to cause an accident. Don't know how to make a point that someone else is driving dangerously without actually causing an accident

Almost always, yes. I normally get a call from the station in the area of the incident inviting me to make a statement, and they will take it from there.

Do you know was anyone ever convicted?
From what I've heard, the Guards aren't interested unless there's a willing witness.

Just wondering.

Good to know ;). Are phone calls to it acted upon I wonder ?
Definitely. Incident recorded no matter what details the caller gives whether anonymous or not. Even if the offenders details are wrong/omitted (e.g. reg. number etc,) the matter is followed up. A fax copy is sent to the local station and reminders sent if they aren't followed through.
Whether the offender is prosecuted or not depends on the callers' willingness to go to court as they are the witness to the alleged offence. The vast majority are dealt with by way of caution at the behest of the witness. Most "offenders" are shocked that someone has gone to the effort to report their offence and are suddenly aware they wil be reported, so hopefully this will improve their driving.

Back