Road Trip USA- Coast 2 Coast in 21 Day?

did a trip similar to yours a few years back (Miami to San Fran and back) took about 4 months though!

Wow you must have covered every state di74! Don't suppose you know of a good place on the Mexican border to stop off?

Sorry, we did northern Texas around panhandle, spent some time in Fort Worth (worth a visit to stockyards) Dallas and Amarillo.
Also if you can make it as far over as Savannah and/or Charleston they are both well worth a visit. Good luck with your planning we used the Rough Guide to USA found it great.

Used Alamo car rental in the Bahamas, they were muck, capital M, if thats any help. Try and fit in Yosemite National Park in Cali if you can, amazing...

Here are some Tom Tom sat navs for under E100. Sure where would you be going?

http://www.walmart.com/search/browse-ng.do?ic=48_0&ref=125875.331257+500000.500003&catNavId=596696

Driving on motorways in Europe last year, I found it very useful to have Basil Fawlty inform me to prepare to exit in 2000 m. You are inclined to go into a trance on a long journey and it's quite easy to miss your exit. He was also quite rude about Napoleon, who he didn't seem to like very much.

With petrol currently over $3.45 for a US gallon, and everyone driving round in a tank (or so it seemed to me), it won't take you long to get your initial investment back.

The one for $144.54 says it's a plug and go.

Murt

I checked out some other sites online, some American, some European and the walmart price is hard to beat (thanks Murt) my only concern is that it is up to date, I used a friends here a couple of months ago and the screen showed me in the middle of a field as the road was quite new!
Try and fit in Yosemite National Park in Cali if you can, amazing...

I was in Yosemite NP before and have to agree excellent place to visit

The sat nav works straight out of the box, just plug into your ciggy lighter and go. I just got a basic TOM TOM One and I've never looked back. Don't really need it for the interstates but if going into a big city looking for hotel etc its invaluable and prevents a lot of time wasting. Mine was up to date as I checked it when I came home.

Tucson AZ is great if you are into Cowboy/Western movies - a lot of them were filmed there and you can visit the sets .
Not too far away heading east would be Tombstone, scene of the OK Corral shout out and a great wee dusty cowboy town to stay for a night. Sedona in North AZ can't be beaten for scenery although a bit touristry.

Not much to be said for the border towns, have been to Laredo, El Paso and Brownsville. Nice to walk acros the border once and see the police controls, Rio Grande etc but I didn't fancy spending time there. It does give a sense of the problems faced by migrants but I would avoid and be careful in those areas.
South Padre Island between Brownsville and Corpus Christi is a great beach stop, I recommend to stay there for one night and get a nice swim in the Gulf of Mexico. You need a full day for the Houston Space Centre, and certainly best to avoid weekends.

Watch gas prices, they can vary by as much as 15% a gallon within a 2 miles radius. Buy in good sized towns rather than on the interstates as it's normally cheaper.

Thanks myate, that's what we plan to do, what national parks did you visit if any in Utah? any recommendations?

In Utah, we did Arches, which is about 10 mins out of Moab, which as some other post said is brilliant. There's so much to do around there. Monument Valley which you have on your list is about 1 hour & 1/2 from there. You can see all of arches in less than a day, just leave Delicate arch till sunset!

Back