Road resurfaced, no double yellow line

vector

Q: In Ireland is it enough to have a no parking sign, or must it also be reinforced with double yellow lines?

Heres the scenario:
I parked in an area that does have a no parking sign 5 cars away pointed in my direction, its far enough away that in a city with other trees etc I didnt see it, the road itself doesnt have double yellow lines (it was resurafaced about 6 months ago, and the council never painted, as I now know in retrospect)

I gentuinely didnt know I parked in a no parking area, neither it seems didthe 5 cars to the right of mine. It looked line a continuation of a parking are of 25 cars along the side of a long street

I got a ticket. Can I argue that a lack of yellow lines gets me off?

What does the sign say?

Here's the legislation on Double Yellow Lines

S.I. No. 181/1997 — Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations, 1997.

15. Traffic sign number RRM 008 shall—
(a) indicate that parking of vehicles is prohibited at any time on that side of the roadway, and
(b) consist of two parallel continuous yellow lines approximately 100 millimetres apart extending along the edge of a roadway, each line being approximately 100 millimetres wide, and the line nearest the edge of the roadway being situated approximately 300 millimetres from that edge.

So its clear from the legislation, that there must be a sign as well as double yellow lines, but there are other regulations for parking and the sign should point towards which regulation is in force at this location.

Back