Rip Off Ireland - Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair play Eddie. No-one from government trying to defend the indefensible (yet), just sneaky complaints and 'outrage'.

Was this a ploy by RTE to extract a higher licence fee? i.e. "let us charge what we want, or we will make more of the same......"

I like Eddie and think he makes plenty of important points - even if some are a bit questionable. I think he is likeable too which is important when trying to be heard. I like the show, although I didn't see it all (bit of a Lost addict since I only have access to Irish stations these days). I even think a consumer protest is a good idea but (and I know I'm risking the wrath of the the entire AAM audience with this) could Eddie not have come up with something a bit more intelligent to allow us make our point than sending a nappy? It's like a schoolyard prank. I just don't see how this is the way to go if we want to protest about serious issues and be taken seriously. I think it's a real missed opportunity.

I didn't send a nappy and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it's too daft to be a part of.

Rebecca

I also thought the nappy thing was a bit daft especially as I don't know anyone with kids so I'd have to go to the bother of buying a pack of nappies (apparently expensive?) just to make the point that it costs too much for nappies!!!

Miss Ribena, Cahir, have you any ideas on how consumers should get their point across?

It would be nice to think that a well thought out and factual submission on why the Groceries Order is bad for consumers sent to the Minister would do the trick, but I doubt that it would somehow.

I don't know what's on the list but surely it would be a point better made if it was an everyday item rather than a nappy or even something that can be purchased as a single item instead of having a pack of nappies lying round the house for years.

I think the nappy was sent because of the ridiculousness of it being included on the list in the first place.

Plus, it's a damn sight easier to post a nappy rather than a jar of jam, or tin of beans.

What's wrong with a proper submission with a petition attached? Even an online petition? Or even just sending emails? At least with a petition it would be easier to verify independently how many people were in favour of the proposal. 700 nappies doesn't sound very much if the ratings really were 500,000.

As Cahir said, why send a nappy? It's just a bit silly. It's not even a very represenative item; even among parents it's not everyone who has kids of nappy-wearing age. What about pensioners or people with kids in college or single people like me? If we wanted to make a point through an absurd gesture, why not send a slice of bread in an envelope?! At least it's biodegradeable in less than 200 years or whatever and more people use it. Even that's daft though, TBH.

I think it's fairly patronising to joe soap, if Eddie is resorting to populist/tabloid-style stunt to get him fired up. I think he should give the public a bit more credit, when they/we feel strongly about something, they/we do take a stand. Look at the protests against the war in Iraq or the Shell pipeline thing. Of course, whether or not they/we are listened to is another matter. Maybe the nappy thing will work out better than a more dignified protest, who knows.

Rebecca

The nappy was picked to show how rediculous the Groceries Act is. It is on the list so it is representative of it.

Only 700 nappies sent ? Thats apathetic Ireland. I dont think 499,300 people found it a patronising idea. We are much better at complaining on internet sites and in pubs about the high prices (when drinking an over-priced pint) but when the first credible action is suggested, people attack the action. I am happy that I sent a nappy and I hope the message gets through.

Looking forward to hearing what Eddie has to say tonight.

MissRibena said:
I think it's fairly patronising to joe soap, if Eddie is resorting to populist/tabloid-style stunt to get him fired up. I think he should give the public a bit more credit, when they/we feel strongly about something, they/we do take a stand. Look at the protests against the war in Iraq or the Shell pipeline thing. Of course, whether or not they/we are listened to is another matter.

I think that the audience Eddie was looking for here were those who don't necessarily read the newspapers (IT, II, or SBP etc) or would be users of this board for example. There are enough people who read those papers and who are familiar with the ROI phenomonen already, and have been for a couple of years, yet what have they done/said so far.

Consumers have power, yet in the face of everything to do with ROI in the past couple of years, we as a group have done absolutely nothing except take it on the chin from government and big business.

We may do our own things in our own way (shopping around, changing bank account etc), but we as the more educated and knowledgable Irish consumers don't really care enough to actually do much else.

The last chance for Irish consumers is to go for the lowest common denominator, which is what I think Eddie is now appealing to, since the middle and upper classes don't really care enough to do anything. If they did care, don't you think something would have been done by now???

What's wrong with a proper submission with a petition attached? Even an online petition? Or even just sending emails?

Two comments in relation to the above
One- this will not make the papers or radio or tv in the way if sufficient people had sent nappies, it would have.
Two- why don't you start this petition, or send an e-mail, because the more consumers do object, in whatever way, the better.

I sent a nappy, it may have been daft, but at least I did something. I also gave a packet of nappies ( that are too small for my daughter) to other people to send.

I was on holidays in the west of Ireland recently. In one village there were three shops. All run by old people. The place is crying out for a supervalu / mace / centra etc. to come in and close these dinosours down. No baby milk formulae, bread nearly out of date, close for 2 hours in the afternoon, only one size of nappies etc. etc. No fresh meat (and no butcher in the village)

Vanilla said:
Two comments in relation to the above
One- this will not make the papers or radio or tv in the way if sufficient people had sent nappies, it would have.
Two- why don't you start this petition, or send an e-mail, because the more consumers do object, in whatever way, the better.

Here here. How many people protested when McDowell wanted to send that LC student back to Nigeria? I'd say less than 700, but because they were kids, and the school principle kicked up a fuss, the media got on side, and the politicians were forced to back down. PR stunts are frequently the only way to get to politicans if you don't have their ear. (See Ryanair)

Fair play to Eddie for a new idea-petitions are nothing new, but if you think it's a good idea, you start it-I'll galdly sign it, as I'm sure most of the contributors to AAM would. Then we can sit back and wait for action from Micheal.

There was nothing 'dignified' about the publicans lobbying on the cafe bar issue, why should consumers take the high road when trying to get the Groceries Order repealed?

I don't see anything 'wrong' with Eddie using tactics that are designed to appeal to Joe Soap. It's Joe Soap who suffers most at the hands of rip off prices for essentials such as nappies etc. Besides, TV is dominated by programs that appeal to Joe Soap, why should this type of program be any different?

and if that village is anything like Trim the business opportunity will be blocked by local councillors.

Demand alone does not create a business opportunity. You also have to beat the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back