Rip off-garage overfilled oil??

joeysully

Went to garage to get car checked up.
oil was changed and filter
brakes checked and cleaned (or at least i was told)
Oil apparently cost ~35€ filter ~5€
sump was tightened as there was a leak on the rim
Total cost 85€

after 1 day checked oil level, 5mm+ over the max level
had to drian ~1 pint out myself cause couldnt live with out the car fo another day.
oil filter was easily turned with my hand while hot so wasnt grabbing it very hard.
I still think the sump is leaking a bit
MY QUESTION **
Is this value for money and should i go back and complain to any good result

Re: Rip off??

I'm not clear what the problem is - the fact that they overfilled the oil marginally (?) or the price of €85. If it's the latter then presumably you asked in advance what it might cost for the service?

Yes the price was verified before the work was done. however if i knew that he was going to overfill it then i would have done it myself which, actually i did, cause i had to get under the car which is never safe and drain it.
max is there for a reason and 1 pint of oil in a small engine cannot be good.

Is it really that critical that oil is only filled to the max and not a few mm above that line?

ClubMan said:
Is it really that critical that oil is only filled to the max and not a few mm above that line?

It really doesnt matter if its a few mm above. Its not an exact reading anyways.

Maybe you actually got a bargin given that you got more oil that you expected?

The issue appears to me to be around the sump-should the tightening have stopped the leak?

But didn't joesully meddle with this after the service so any current leak could have been caused by him and not lack of attention on the part of the garage?

I Actually asked fo the remaining oil in the can and got it, so yeah jot more than i expected. Garage told me that the oil cost ~38E for 5liters. its a 20w semi syntetic designed for older cars that burn oil. is this price real?

joeysully said:
I Actually asked fo the remaining oil in the can and got it, so yeah jot more than i expected.
I actually meant that you got c. 5mm above the max line more than you might have expected.
Garage told me that the oil cost ~38E for 5liters. its a 20w semi syntetic designed for older cars that burn oil. is this price real?
If that's their price then it's obviously real. Maybe there are higher or lower prices available elsewhere but presumably if you went with this price in the first place then you were happy with it?

joeysully said:
I Actually asked fo the remaining oil in the can and got it, so yeah jot more than i expected. Garage told me that the oil cost ~38E for 5liters. its a 20w semi syntetic designed for older cars that burn oil. is this price real?

Well, 5 litres of "5w 30" oil for my car costs 28 euro from the garage, so it sounds a little high but I wouldnt know enough about oil types to say.

yes clubman i got what you said just adding abit more info.
Iwas talking to someone who apparently knows what he is talking about and said that the oil can be got cheaper. But i'll put my hands up and say that i often sppend money and then after think i could have got it cheaper.
a friend tod me he paid €120 to replace a seatbelt clippy in thing on a corsa drivers seat (not the metal bit that clips in but the thing that the metal thing clips into ) took 10 mins to do

joeysully said:
But i'll put my hands up and say that i often sppend money and then after think i could have got it cheaper.
Well if, as this thread would suggest, you are worried about rip-offs then you should get out of that habit.
a friend tod me he paid €120 to replace a seatbelt clippy in thing on a corsa drivers seat (not the metal bit that clips in but the thing that the metal thing clips into ) took 10 mins to do
So?

5 litre of semi-synthetic down the local motor factors last week - €15.

Albeit, not exactly "branded" stuff.

joeysully said:
well he brought all the parts required all the garage had to do was fit it
If he wasn't happy with the €120 charge to fit the parts then he should have haggled and/or shopped around for a better deal. Just because somebody charges €120 for this doesn't make it a rip-off. Especially when there are people like your friend who are prepared to pay it.

Yes i agree, but ist hard so sometimes. he didn't actually get a price before the work was done.

I don't think that shopping around is necessarily that difficult. People who pay the first and possibly not most competitive price that they find may well be paying a premium for convenience (i.e. not having to bother shopping around).

Back