Ring Valuation

Presumably she is thrilled, since the ring was valued at a lot more than she paid for it, so if she had bought it in Ireland instead of Bangkok, she would have had to spend a lot more than the 2400 she did spend, for the exact same specification, size and quality of ring!

That's not the value of the ring. The value of the ring is the amount it could be sold for, not the amount you would have to pay to buy a new one. If you want a real valuation, put it on Ebay. The 'saving' you got from buying in Bangkok won't seem so thrilling then.

Whoever you use to value, make sure you get a proper written valuation detailing the weight, cut and clarity of stones as well as the setting type and the quality of the metal as well as the dimensions of the ring.

I went to H Samuels in cork for valuations, was charged €85 for two rings and when I asked for it in writing, the girl got a sheet of notepaper and wrote in biro - three stone diamond ring €x. five stone ring €xx. Very amatuerish and not professional looking at all.

That's not the value of the ring. The value of the ring is the amount it could be sold for, not the amount you would have to pay to buy a new one. If you want a real valuation, put it on Ebay. The 'saving' you got from buying in Bangkok won't seem so thrilling then.

I don't really care what it would sell it for as I would never put it up for sale in the first place - it was a gift from my husband on honeymoon!
It's not like you would throw it on Ebay to earn a quick buck!

It's just nice to know that after spending a sizeable enough amount of money on a piece of jewellery in a foreign country where you do hear of scams going on, it's nice to know that it is the genuine article and in fact, worth a bit more than you originally paid for!

Sally2007, I'm planning on heading to Bangkok in a few weeks & have been thing of bying a special ring over there, can you let me know the place you got your ring?

Nermal,
In your 2 posts in this thread, you seem to ignore the fact that most people get their jewellery valued for insurance purposes, rather than resaling.

As for Ebay, would you trust buying a €10k gem there?? I and certainly many others would not... hence this €10k gem would end up snapped at €1k, considering the risk of it being anything else..than a real gem.

On the topic of rings, does anyone know of any jewellers that buy second hand rings. I have a nine stone diamond ring that I would love to get rid of.

Thanks a million.

On the topic of rings, does anyone know of any jewellers that buy second hand rings. I have a nine stone diamond ring that I would love to get rid of.

Thanks a million.:)

if you ar ein dublin, contact O'reillys on the quays. they are pawn brokers and jewellry auctioneers. You would probably get best price at auction. jewellers mark up is about 150%, hence for jeweller buys ringsfor €200 and sells for €500.

If you paid €500 for it and wanted to sell it to another jeweller, you could expect to get less than €200 from him. You should get more at autcion and both buyer and seller do better!

Sally2007, I'm planning on heading to Bangkok in a few weeks & have been thing of bying a special ring over there, can you let me know the place you got your ring?

FRASR,

We got it in "Gems Gallery", 198/23-24 Rama 6 Road, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400. Tel 02-2710150

If you ask your hotel reception about it, they will generally ring ahead and somebody from the jewellery store will come and collect you, free of charge. Just make sure it is actually the place above that you're going to, there are a few dodgy places there too with similiar names!

Just make sure you bring your cheque book with you because if you go in their with a woman, you will spend money!!
It's absolutely amazing and they have all price ranges - from €1k up to €200k+ As soon as you walk in, you will have an assistant beside you all the way.

Enjoy.......

FRASR

Also just to note, bargain on the prices.
We got 30% off what they asked and that wasn't with a huge amount of haggling - go in low and see how you get on!

Back