Rights of siblings with shared inheritance

C

Colleen Bill

My mother recently passed away leaving her house to myself and my two brothers. Both my brothers want to put the house up for auction for a quick sale but I would prefer to work on the house and sell it when the economy is better. As there is two offs them and only one of me, do I have any rights?

You could offer to buy their shares of the house at a current valuation, then they have their inheritence and you can take the time to invest in the house for an expected greater price in future. I think that is the only option open to you which satisfies all three of you. If you cant pursuade the other two to put the sale on hold I think you have to either sell it as is, or offer to buy them out. They may have need of the money now. good luck with reaching an amicable resolution between all parties.

I presume that your mother appointed an executor. It is for the executor to make the decision, subject to the general requirement that things be done without unreasonable delay.

Waiting for the economy to recover sounds to me like unreasonable delay.

The best thing is that you either buy it out and if you cannot you let it be sold. A vague concept like 'when the economy is better' won't wash with people who want their rightful inheritence. Why on earth would you want to enforce the keeping of the property against your 2 brothers who want the money? In addition keeping the property between 3 different people generally leads to all kinds of problems. Who lives in it, who pays the repairs, the renovation the maintenace, does the tax returns. Selling it is a clean solution.

Back