Rights of Occupational doctor.

buster mammy

Just a general question if a person goes to Occupational Health and gives their permission for that person's GP to be contacted if need be, does this give the Occupational Health doctor permission to get hospital records or consult hospital consultants and can hospital based consultants divulge information about you regarding scans etc.?

Are hospital consultants bound by confidenialty, its not a legal case just like to get the information first myself to review before the place where I work so I can make decisions for myself, thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
may be of interest.

All consultants write to your GP with the results of their findings and will most likely/need to make reference to the results of scans and tests. So if you give permission for either the consultant or GP to be contacted the reply to the Occupational Health doctor will most likely be the same.

With regard to your query on consultant confidentiality the following is from the article referred to above:

'The doctor is first and foremost bound by the code of ethics of their profession which includes the duty to maintain confidence. This confidence may only be broken if the employee has expressly agreed for information to be disclosed'.

Back