Ridiculous requests from buyers

HappyBudda

Hi
We are ready to sign contracts on the sale of our house subject to engineers report.

The engineer came back with 'Essential' remediation requirements such as:
1)Improvements to attic insulation
2)Bag the water tank in attic
3)driveway unfinished
4)Permanent Vent required for room with stove in
5)Wheelchair access
6)Improvements to landscaping
Bearing in mind this is a 15 year old house. We accepted an offer considerably under the asking.
I am aware that the engineers report is used as a bargaining tool.

I will not be held hostage to these remediations and am happy to pull the plug as i was under the impression from he sales people that it was sold as seen.

Any advice appreciated

Regards

Were there any other offers on the property and if so why did you accept the offer considerably under the asking price?

Engineers reports are supposed to address issues that wouldn't be obvious to a lay person so It certainly looks to me like they are chancing their arm to see if they can get a further reduction in the price. You could respond on the insulation by stating that the level of insulation is reflected in the BER report, and the driveway and landscaping by stating that their condition was obvious at the time of viewing. The vent in the room with the stove is perhaps something that they may not have been aware of (and is certainly required) but I don't think there is any obligation on you to provide it. They could of course use the report as an excuse to walk away from the deal if you don't address these issues.

Address it partially. Yes, install the vent, Put a bag in the water tank. That's it. The rest are unrealistic. Pull out and move on to the next perspective purchaser.

Yes, i would have thought the installers of the stove would have put a vent in if it was a requirement, they charged enough!! Accepted as we are abroad and its a hassle going back and forth. Also didnt like the idea of leaving it vacant for the winter. Our EA said we would get full asking if we waited so not afraid to pull out.
I was under the impression that wysiwyg. Its a first for us so not trying to con anyone but the demands see to be those that you would look for in a new house.

I may just offer a couple of grand off but not a lot more. I am going back this weekend as i was assuming it was a done deal as the engineers report could have been brought to my attention earlier. Tough one as i have a lot going on.

Offer nothing off. The demands are unrealistic. House is sold as seen. They are trying it on with you. Don't let them turn you into a mug.

Sold as seen by purchaser's surveyor / engineer and offers are normally subject to that professional's report, as purchasers don't normally know the difference between a flying buttress and foil-backed insulation. Unless it shows up any concerns, then it won't be used as a bargaining tool, which is not its purpose of course. If a vendor does not want to enter into negotiation on a "subject to reports" basis then say so up front and allow purchaser's to move on.

I may just offer a couple of grand off but not a lot more. I am going back this weekend as i was assuming it was a done deal as the engineers report could have been brought to my attention earlier. Tough one as i have a lot going on.

You need to toughen up would be my opinion, I looked at that list and there's nothing mega on it. They are chancing it with that.

1)Improvements to attic insulation
This just means putting more insulation down and can be done without a tradesman, I've done it !
2)Bag the water tank in attic
I assume this means insulating it, some kind of lagging jacket thing for water tanks, easily done by a plumber, not your problem, purchasers problem
3)driveway unfinished
They knew the driveway was unfinished when they made their bit, like really !
4)Permanent Vent required for room with stove in
Only serious issue, this they woudn't have known about, I can't see though how this costs a lot
5)Wheelchair access
Why? For who?
6)Improvements to landscaping
Again they knew this when the put their bid in, if they want more shrubs and trees they can do this themselves to their own taste

You said you were below asking, but are you below similar houses in the area? Did you look this up. They want the house, they put in a bid, they are serious as they got an engineers report, nobody would walk away not with anything in the engineers report.

Last edited:
If you gave the correct BER, the attic insulation is not your concern. If they want a warmer house, they can insulate it themselves.
A lagging jacket costs €20, give them €20 off the price.
Drive way and landscaping - not an engineering matter. Lots of unlived houses are sold with unkempt gardens.
Wheelchair access - What for?
Vent - get it sorted

I think the only thing you should sort out is the vent.
Other than that the buyers are buying the house as it is & they can make the improvements listed.

Many thanks. I will go get one.

My plumber installed some kind of light/heat thing in my attic. On the bank or near the tank. Not sure what it is, but it was after I suffered damaged due to burst pipes after a freezing spell.

The clue is in the name of the post, i.e. 'Ridiculous requests from buyers'.

The purpose of an engineering/surveyors report is to see if there are major issues, eg structural, etc. Not for nit picking. Specific alterations to meet the buyers needs are their own business, nothing to do with a seller.

Caveat emptor!

ps - as an aside I don't see why you didn't sort out things such as the driveway, improve landscaping, etc before you sold. These type of items can hugely influence a buyers impression and hence can have a significant price impact. Assume discussed with auctioneer as any sales agent worth their fee would point these things out also.

Last edited:
My plumber installed some kind of light/heat thing in my attic. On the bank or near the tank. Not sure what it is, but it was after I suffered damaged due to burst pipes after a freezing spell.
Yes, some people fit infra red lights activated by a thermostat, not a bad idea.

Back