Ridge Tiles blowing off new build....

BLOB

Hello,
I am having a problem with a new build. (roofed Jan07)
Within a year, three ridge tiles have blown off the roof and two slates.....
Surely this is not acceptable. The carpenter seems to think it is an act of God !!
It was self-build. Whilst we had self-build insurance, we did not have any homebond type contracts with the tradesmen we used.
I think it is unreasonable that the ridge tiles are so ''loose'' - does anyone know where we should turn to have the carpenter own up to his responsiblity to correct the situation and also correct the remaining tiles so that it does not happen again.........

thanks
blob.

Thanks for replying! Screwed on (almost 99%sure as I can see porch)
Made a mistake - it was roofed Jan 08!
Today, two ridge tiles came crashing down and also two slates - landed like knives into lawn - God help anyone walking out front !!
The carpenter is really cheeky about the situation.
thanks again
blob

Thanks for replying! Screwed on (almost 99%sure as I can see porch)
Made a mistake - it was roofed Jan 08!
Today, two ridge tiles came crashing down and also two slates - landed like knives into lawn - God help anyone walking out front !!
The carpenter is really cheeky about the situation.
thanks again
blob
What type and size of slates and ridges did you use on your house ?

Unless you've a signed contract with breakdown of laibilities etc., I'd forget about it..........joys of direct labour

In a self build its not unusual for the first fix chippy constructing the roof structure to actually lat, felt and slate the roof. Thts why he's blaming the chippy.

Secman

hi,
This chippy did the whole roof job - put the battons on etc and felted and then put the slates and ridge tiles on -
he used rica 10 slates, large size and I really don't know what ridge tiles - the porch appears to be screwed on with little clips on the outside.

I think we will have to get another carpenter to put up whats down (listening to the rain outside now) ...... and have this new guy also check out that there aren't others loose.

In this climate, our roofer cum chippy probably hasnt any work or money.

blob !

Back