Riddle: brothers and sisters I have none but this mans father is my fathers son.

nutty nut

Just recently a few of us agreed to disagree (in the pub actually) on the answer to a riddle. Its an old one which Im sure some of you have heard before but I would appreciate your answers.

A man picks up a photo and looking at it he says - brothers and sisters I have none but this mans father is my fathers son.

Who is in the photo?

Re: Settle an argument on a riddle

Just separate it into 2 halves

When I have no siblings; my fathers son = me

So this mans father = me

Hence he was talking about his son who is a man.

Lets say my name is Pat & my fathers name is Tony.

I am looking at a picture of myself. I say to others then that this mans father (Pats Father Tony -my father in other words), is my fathers son (Tony's son Pat - which is me), because I have no siblings.

So the person is looking at a picture of himself.

ninsaga (or Pat in this case)

Say it's Pats son Bob in the picture.

Pat says: Bobs father (Pat-me) is my fathers (Tony) son (Pat)

Lets say my name is Pat & my fathers name is Tony.

I am looking at a picture of myself. I say to others then that this mans father (Pats Father Tony -my father in other words), is my fathers son (Tony's son Pat - which is me), because I have no siblings.

So the person is looking at a picture of himself.

ninsaga (or Pat in this case)

You're saying that "My Father (Tony) is my fathers (Tony) son" - that can't be possible.

:eek: Edit: Oops! changed my mind

He's looking at his own son.

Ah this old chestnut. Its being resurfacing for years and I've never ever heard anyone being convinced by another party that their answer is wrong.
So just to be different I'm not saying what my answer is!

(post crossed with Caveat's - I stand corrected!)

Ah this old chestnut. Its being resurfacing for years and I've never ever heard anyone being convinced by another party that their answer is wrong.
So just to be different I'm not saying what my answer is!

(post crossed with Caveat's - I stand corrected!)

It has to be his son. As Cahir pointed out he can't be his own father.

You're saying that "My Father (Tony) is my fathers (Tony) son" - that can't be possible.
I'm not so sure ...... ever heard of the song "I'm My Own Grandpa" by Willie Nelson (and a host of others)? Either someone has a serious disorder here or it's hero-worship of the ego gone ape. On a more serious note ....... you're looking into the crib at your son, you don't have any siblings. your son's father (you) is your father's son (you). But the question being asked is ..... who is in the photo/crib! Not you but your son. QED

It has to be his son. As Cahir pointed out he can't be his own father.

Also, why have the preamble "brother and sisters I have none" if it wasn't relevant?

It's relevant because if he did have a brother then that could also be the answer - in the sense that it opens up the nephew aspect.

Also, why have the preamble "brother and sisters I have none" if it wasn't relevant?

It's relevant because if he did have a brother then that could also be the answer - in the sense that it opens up the nephew aspect.
Exactly.
Now stop taking this thread seriously in case someone see you.

Definitely its his son in the photo!

The "mans father" is himself, so the person in the photo hes lookin at is his son!

Hmm, I still think its himself.

This bit is the key ..

"... is my fathers son."

Lets say the observers father is 'Jack'.
The observer is 'Tom'

The person-in-the-picture has a father who is the son of 'Jack'. ie himself, 'Tom'.

Now where's the solpadine ..

Last edited:

Actually ... it is his son ... the solpadine worked !!

The pictured guy has a father who is the son of my father 'me'. So it must be son of 'me'.

Back